• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can I LOCK imovie clips to soundtrack and insert still images?

Reaction score
I am making an Imovie (imovie 10.1.1.) consisting of still images and movie clips against the soundtrack of the movie clip (a lone singer and guitar).

I want to insert the stills and then occaisionally revert to the movie with the soundtrack running in the background.

I have separated the soundtrack from the movie and also split the movie so that I can replace sections of it with the stills but I want to ensure that the movie clips I have included are synched to the soundtrack when they appear. If I delete the sections of the movie that I want to replace with stills - everything moves up - how can I maintain the gap or lock the section of movie I want to keep?

Thanks

Joy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Try using iMovie's "Cutaway" feature. Restart your Project using the movie clip of the singer. Then just drop your still images on top; ie, above, the movie clip. As the movie plays, it will "cutaway" to the still image while still playing the soundtrack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.