Photos not recognising iphone 5

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a repeat but the only previous posts I could find were old stuff and didn't work for me.

I'm trying to backup my phone photos to my Drobo via my Mac but Photos doesn't recognise my phone.

I'm running Yosemite on a 2010 iMac, iTunes is latest version, (12.6) and doesn't recognise my phone either. my phone is unlocked and connected to a USB on the back of my mac.

I've spent hours chasing my tail with this, I'm sure it's something simple but I've no idea what, can anyone shed some light please? :[

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

The problem may be the iPhone - what current iOS is it running?

Your Mac is running a relatively recent OS, your iTunes is running the current version, so I suspect your iPhone 5 is incompatible with iTunes. Its iOS would confirm this.

However, there is another possible way of transferring photos from your iPhone - although incompatibility may occur here as well -

Connect your iPhone by USB directly to the Mac. On the Mac, open Image Capture (found under Applications) and see if it recognises your iPhone. If it does, and I'm a bit doubtful, then you can copy your photos from the iPhone to any destination you like on the Mac - Pictures, for example.

Please post back.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Ian, Thank you, I've been browsing this forum for a while now and found it really useful.

From my about menu it's showing version 10.3.1 model ME435B/A.

i've used Image Capture in the past but have had trouble connecting to it at times, wouldn't connect this time although IC sees my scanner, Photos sees my Drobo but neither see my phone. I've just backed up my phone to icloud thinking that might be stopping it but no luck,

I've got my phone connected directly to the back of my mac by USB, took it out of the hub, I even bought a new Anker hub as the old hub was , well... old.

Thanks for your input

Regards

Derek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Do you have another cable you can use?

OP
C
Reaction score
Do you have another cable you can use?

I've just changed the cable I bought new less than 6 months ago for my old and battered cable.... AND IT WORKS!!!!

Can't believe I've wasted all that time. thank you both so much... I feel like a right numpty...

Derek

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well done Bob.

So simple, so obvious. You've brought joy to one very happy, Derek.

A thumbs up for Bob, I think, Derek.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I guess that one should be the second go to after restart everything. Amazing how often that works. Well done ferrar. Rep points to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Thanks Ian and Rod.

You're welcome Derek, glad you got it to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Instead of cables you could use Photo Stream to sync automatically between phone and Photos on your Mac. In Settings on both, switch off iCloud and enable Photo Stream. The images will sync when wifi is available. Once synced, they also go into the top level Photos album on the Mac and that becomes the master copy allowing you to safely delete photos from your phone to free up memory. Images drop out of Photo Stream after 30 days or if you reach 1,000.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.