Photos in "Contacts"

Reaction score
I used to be able to drag or choose a photo from any file. Now apparently with OS Sierra it will only accept photos from "Photos"
As I use Lightroom for my 60,000 photos on file elsewhere than in "Photos" this is very inconvenient.
I have even tried moving a couple of photos into "Photos" but they still don't appear in the stupidly small dropdown window which appears when i edit a contacts photo.
Anyone out there can help?
Frustrated
RedSnapper

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, again.

I can't duplicate your problem. In fact, in my experiment, I dragged a Screen Shot (png) of a quote from an article on Safari, to Contacts and it accepted the text without a grumble. Did the same with a a photo from the Desktop and using the Edit function in Contacts (agreed, bit of a finicky thing) was able to choose a picture from various sources.

This leads me to think that macOS Sierra is not the problem.

I'm sure you will have tried the obvious, but just in case:

1. Reboot the Mac.

That fails:

2. Download, install and run OnyX, a free, much recommended maintenance app which can be downloaded from: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html Be sure to get the version for Sierra, use the Automation Tab and its own checkboxes and Execute.

Please post back.

Ian

M

MacInWin

RedSnapper, I think what you are doing is dragging to the "+" and not to the circle where the image eventually appears. Try that.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ian, Jake thanks for the advice
As usual "the turn it off turn it on" procedure seemed to fix the issue. Having voted up today I can now drag a photo from my photo files from Finder across to the contacts circle window and it accepts them.
Funny that when I had an on-line chat with Apple about this very problem yesterday they were adamant that I could only use an image from Apple Photos! Shows what they know then doesn't it. I will stick with you guys if I have any more issues.
Many thanks
RedSnapper

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks for pasting back, RedSnapper.

It's amazing how often a reboot of the system sorts things out. It's alway the first thing I try when just about anything goes awry.

Glad you're sorted now anyway.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.