MacForum audience for non IT people?

Reaction score
Upon registration i noted options for my profession are related to the IT industry only.
Im here to ask advice about buying a new MBP vs an older one offered by a friend. However if this forum is not the place i wont post.

If i may post my question, please advice the best place to post it.

Thank you

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Our forums are fine for your question and asking for advice. Many of our members have years and years of experience with Macs and the Mac operating system. But we do need to know the details of your choosing. A new MacBook Pro - which one and how is it equipped? The older one - ??

Fill in the details and we can advise you from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Upon registration i noted options for my profession are related to the IT industry only.
Im here to ask advice about buying a new MBP vs an older one offered by a friend. However if this forum is not the place i wont post.

If i may post my question, please advice the best place to post it.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As to your comment on the 'IT industry only', this is far from the truth - many of us are 'computer enthusiasts' and not in the 'IT Industry' (I'm a retired academic radiology professor and computers have been one of my interests since the early 1980s) - however, there are certainly 'computer professionals' here, including many of the mods/admins who can provide excellent advice regarding computer purchases, whether new vs. old - as to the sub-forum to post, take a look at a portion of the forums offered below - 'Apple Notebooks' would seem appropriate for you. So, jump in and ask your questions and keep in mind that the more information you offer 'up front' the better for providing a useful response. Dave
Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 7.03.00 PM.png

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

You found the right place to post the question! But before we can offer opinions, we need to know more about what you want to do and about the systems you are comparing, as chscag said in his post. As a small tutorial, Macs are identified generally by what is shown in the About This Mac option of the  icon on the upper left corner of the screen. My MacBook Pro (MBP), for example, says "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)." With that information, plus the amount of memory and the size of the hard drive, we can pretty much tell you the capabilities of the machine. So, on the older one, what is that information? And what new one are you considering?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.