Word for Mac 08

Reaction score
I would like to add a header & page numbers in my Word for Mac 08 document. I would like them to start (w/ page 2) on what is currently page 6 of the document. I have tried adding a section break, but it added random page numbers to section 1 as well as the page numbers in section 2. I only want the numbering and header in section 2, but it's showing up in both.:Not-Amused:

Your suggestions & help are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

We need to know for sure which version or Word for the Mac you're using? Is it Mac Office 2008? If it is, that's an old version of Office which has since been updated to Office 2011 and now Office 2016.

Also, it helps if you tell us which Mac you have and what version of OS X it's running.

OP
T
Reaction score
When I go to "About Word" it shows that I have "Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac" version 12.3.6.

Working on an iMac running Sierra version 10.12.4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You can't be working with Word 2008 as it is incompatible with everything from Lion OS X.7

If it was working assume you upgraded from Snow Leopard OS X.6 the last Intel operating system to run Rosetta which enabled 2008 to work.

OP
T
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate everyone's help, but in general Word seems to be working fine on my computer. I just need to know how to start numbering my document pages on page 6.

Ideally, since the actual novel begins on page 5 (with cover page, table of contents, etc. coming before) I'd like page six to show as page 2 and then number sequentially from that point onward. Similarly, I'd like the name of the book to show up (centered) in the header starting on page 6 and not before. I'm able to make that happen with (Apple's) Pages, but Pages isn't very compatible w/ some of the publishing company's formatting regulations.

Thanks again for your assistance!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Office 2008 works OK with Sierra, no problem there. I believe our member was confusing Office 2008 with Office 2004 which does not work with Intel only versions of OS X.

As to the numbering question, we have had threads about this before and to be honest, I don't remember how it was solved. I do know that Word and Pages are not best for long documents such as novels and Phd dissertations. Most writers will use Scrivener 2 for doing their work. I'm not suggesting that you should change horses in the middle of the stream, but if you are a writer by trade, you should consider a better tool to use.

Getting back to your question... You might want to ask the same question to the Microsoft Office Word forum. I'm sure one of the experts there will be able to help.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks chsag. I'll definitely look into both of your suggestions. How's the learning curve when it comes to switching over to Scrivener 2. I've seen some expensive tutorials out there for it, but I'm not sure I can afford the time or money to be the old dog learning new tricks.;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There definitely is a learning curve for Scrivener 2 especially if you're used to Word or Pages. But with a little time and effort on your part, you'll be a pro with it in short order. ;) Keep an eye out for specials on Scrivener 2. I've seen it bundled with other apps for free and on sale for as low as $20. And good luck with your novel. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
I just became a big fan of Scrivener. I remembered that I had a really old copy of Scrivener from back when I was exclusively writing non-fiction. As soon as I clicked on it, it allowed me to update (for free) to the newest (v2) version. Now I'm ready to give it a try for my next fiction novel. In the meantime, hopefully I can figure out the Word for Mac issue for my most recent (already written) novel.

Thanks again!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
I've got Sierra and use an old copy of Office 2008 with 2008 Word. I just tried to do what you are trying to do and it just won't. Even when I choose start numbering pages at 2 on page 8, etc. Also I can't get the header to start just on a later page no matter what I try. (it also won't do Macros and a lot of other useful stuff).

If it was my project I would make two files. The first one for the first few pages and then another for the body of the work. and/or

sometimes I have found solutions at

http://wordmvp.com/Mac/

Good Luck.

Reaction score
I would like to add a header & page numbers in my Word for Mac 08 document. I would like them to start (w/ page 2) on what is currently page 6 of the document. I have tried adding a section break, but it added random page numbers to section 1 as well as the page numbers in section 2. I only want the numbering and header in section 2, but it's showing up in both.:Not-Amused:

Just before inserting your Section Break....

In Word, go to:
Format menu --> Document --> Layout tab --> "Apply to: this point forward"

In the same dialog box you may want to play with the "Section Start" setting.

Randy B. Singer *• *Attorney at Law
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
Mac OS X Routine Maintenance* •**http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

OP
T
Reaction score
Dang!! :( I thought for sure that would be the answer, but it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though, Randy. I appreciate your help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.