Woodworking Drafting App Needed...

Reaction score
I'm a woodworker and draw out my plans before going into the shop. I've been using Affinity Designer to rehab and design clock dials and really like it. I'm hoping that there is a similar app that I can use to do my woodworking drawings with. I'm not a pro, so cost is a definite issue. My drawings are pretty simple and include measurements. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I did notice Affinity Design is available for Mac at the low *cough* price of $49.99. I also read in the reviews that the company does not really support the Apple community. Nice...

I did find this app called Inkscape. It is a vector drawing app that is free so it might be worth a look. https://inkscape.org/en/

This is available in the App store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/woodcraft/id467348986?mt=8

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I find it strange that a review would state that Affinity does not really support the Apple community. Especially when the company (which was once known as "Serif") has one of the best photo apps (Affinity Photo) for the Mac. It was chosen by Macworld and MacLife as top notch.

I still have a collection of Serif apps for Windows on CD laying around gathering dust with a ton of other Windows disks going back to the 90s. I guess I'm a pack rat. I really should get rid of most of it. LOL.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And for what's worth, after much research, I purchased Affinity Photo and I have to say that their support has been terrific. I've asked them lots of technical questions and they have replied, without condescension at my ignorance, with detailed instructions. As I understand it, the Affinity series was specifically designed for the Mac.

And I don't think the price is too bad given that the Photo app anyway, is top line.

I have no personal experience of their other products, I must admit.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I admit to having no knowledge of the app or company. I was looking at the reviews listed in the app store which can be subjective at times I know. If the OP likes the app and is familiar with it then that might be the best choice. Just trying to provide options.

I appreciate the input too! :D

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.