How long does it take to setup a new phone from scratch?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Assuming that you do not have and existing iPhone, so nothing in iTunes or iCloud to restore, how long would it take you to set phone preferences, load essential apps and set individual app preferences, contacts, music, saved logins etc?

Why do I ask, you say?

Because last Tuesday my iPhone 5s died. I am currently living in Indonesia (Bali) and have had to send the iPhone for assessment and (hopefully) repair in Java. This may take a couple of weeks but there is the possibility that it's bricked.:'(
I have no explanation for this, no damage, no drops, no liquids, current iOS updates applied it just went black after an incoming call from my wife and would not reboot even with hard reset.

I think everyone on this forum knows I have been a devoted Apple device user for 25+ years but my options were severely limited so (cover your ears one eyed Apple supporters) I went out and bought an Android phone.

As we run a guest house here I justified this by saying a spare phone would always be handy for guests and because I simply could not do without a smart phone of some sort for 2 weeks or in the case that my 5s cannot be repaired, until my next trip to Australia. Although it is possible to buy one here it is approx 20% dearer than Aus and the Aus price for an iPhone 6 is AU $1129.00 for the 5.5" 64Gb version.

In comparison the Vivo 1061 Y55s (no I didn't buy a Samsung) 5.5" 16Gb device plus a 32Gb SD expansion card cost AU $250.00. It was on special and I figured any Android would be much the same. After all they are all running the same Marshmallow OS right? No, not so, individual manufacturers have different ways of applying the OS. This meant a lot of time spent searching the web and the settings menu just to get

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
So I guess we can file this under when is Marshmallow not a Marshmallow?:Mischievous:

In all seriousness sorry to hear that your phone may have given up the ghost. If I were in you're shoes I might have made the same decision.

BTW something like this has come up several times on the forum. Each time a new version of IOS is released the percentage of phones running the new IOS version usually hits a high percentage within a few weeks. It can take Android phones much longer to get the same level of penetration. One explanation has often been that some device manufacturers are slow to release updates for their devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Finding your way round a different system is going to be the difficulty. You could do the basics 9sounds, notifications etc) in about 20 minutes then it would be remembering what apps you used most. Good opportunity to pare down!:Mischievous:

My 5s is OK (touch wood) after the latest update but if/when it dies I am very reluctant to pay what Apple are seeking for the newer models or enter an expensive contract. I also don't want a phablet-sized monstrosity so may have to revert to Android. I would very much miss the synchronicity with my other Apple devices.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Apple on line refurbished store now sells refurbished iPhones and currently has a very large stock of the 6s and 6s+ models and some SE models. All have been given a new outer case and battery and carry the Apple one year warranty. However, for now they are only being sold in the US refurbished store but should be available soon for the UK and Canada.

If you do need a new iPhone after your current one is no longer serviceable, check the Apple reburbished stock first as you can save 15%.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think everyone on this forum knows I have been a devoted Apple device user for 25+ years but my options were severely limited so (cover your ears one eyed Apple supporters) I went out and bought an Android phone.

As for you buying an Android phone, nothing wrong with that. I've seen some Android phones that easily compared to the best iPhone. The new Samsung Galaxy S8 is one fantastic phone and in my opinion much better looking than my iPhone 7+. Of course it's no less expensive as are some of the best Android phones.

Why didn't you just buy a cheap flip phone while waiting for your 5s to be repaired? You might wind up spending as much as a new phone between the cost of the Android and if your 5s requires extensive repairs.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
chscag, I'm afraid my choices are somewhat limited here in Bali. First World problem in a Third World country I know. Also no option for a refurbished due to international shipping restrictions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.