No sound on iPhone 4S!

Reaction score
Having successfully sold my faithful 4S it is being returned due to "lack of sound". I haven't got it back yet but I understand that when they make or receive a call, they have to turn the speaker on for either end to be able to hear the conversation.

I believe this is a fairly common problem encountered by iPhones?

Any suggestions would be appreciated as it will be a shame to just dump it!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not a common problem but it's hard to say what possibly could be wrong. Sound is picked up by the built in mic which could be defective. I assume the phone was working OK when you sold it, however, a phone that old could very well be on its last leg. When you get it, do a reset with iTunes and see if that helps.

OP
C
Reaction score
I understand that it is now working again. I suggested she put the earphone plug in and out a few times as that automatically disconnects the internal speaker system and seems it worked! Must have been a dirty contact in the socket.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A common problem with older cell phones is that pocket lint gets into the openings: Mic input, and especially the charging port. Tell the new owner to be careful when cleaning the phone and to only use a wood toothpick or something similar to do the cleaning. Blowing compressed air might also work but not too close to the phone.

Reaction score
This is not a big problem, this problem can be solved easily and this type of problem generally occurred in older phone. First of all you check the setting and reset your iPhone, if the problem is not solved, then it's a problem related to the speaker or mike. Either speaker or mike damaged so you can check both of them and I think your problem was solved.

Reaction score
This is not a big problem, this problem can be solved easily and this type of problem generally occurred in older phone. First of all you check the setting and reset your iPhone, if the problem is not solved, then it's a problem related to the speaker or mike. Either speaker or mike damaged so you can check both of them and I think your problem was solved.

It's okey! But if reset the phone for better service then there is a chance of losing your all important data. Isn't it?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, if you do a "Hard" reset you will lose all passwords and settings unless you have backed all of that data up to iCloud. That can be done by plugging into a computer running iTunes (PC or Mac) and sync to iCloud. This will require encrypting the backup and receiving a password which you must retain in order to access backups in the future. You will receive instructions when you tick the backup to iCloud box. Then after hard reset on the phone you will need to restore it from the iCloud backup via iTunes.
Of course you could just re enter all of that information again on the phone without using iTunes but it is a good idea to back it up anyway even if it is only to your computer which will not save personal data but will save all other content, apps, music, photos etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.