• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

RIAA losing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I was just watching TechTV and they were saying that the RIAA lost in court to Verizon about the Sapina's or something. So anyways they said in court they threw out all the Sapinas although many users are still pending law suits.

Any links or any other news on this subject?

sKaD

M

macuserbb

Riaa

I am new to the forum. Soooooo, would someone tell me exactly who the RIAA is targeting.

Is it people who download or the people who are allowing files to be downloaded.

Mind you......I have lots of music.....uh.....but I keep my doors locked with firewalls.

Am I safe back here or should I still be afraid when I'm on line

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Basically don't be sharing any of your files, firewalls... eh.. you open up the port to download so.. that doesn't help. Just don't share your music.

It's pretty much the Uploaders. The RIAA doesn't really have a way of telling whether or not you have that CD when downloading songs. But people that are giving away Copyrighted material can get busted for that.

sKaD

M

macuserbb

Riaa

Thanks........

sKaD said:
Basically don't be sharing any of your files, firewalls... eh.. you open up the port to download so.. that doesn't help. Just don't share your music.

It's pretty much the Uploaders. The RIAA doesn't really have a way of telling whether or not you have that CD when downloading songs. But people that are giving away Copyrighted material can get busted for that.

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
sKaD said:

sKaD

You can't download the songs even if you have the CD already. When you buy a cd you are buying a single license. that license is only good for the songs in the physical form on the CD. You can rip the CD to your computer because you are still just using your licensed copy

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Oh, *shrugs* okay :p

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
as a mac user, youre safe. i cant find the article, but i remember reading a mac user called the RIAA after getting a letter from them, and told them Kazaa doesnt have a mac client, so how could he be sharing. and got off the hook.

C

chaotic light

Blame Canada

The RIAA is screwed anyway where Kazaa or similer sharing programs are concerned. You see...Downloading files in Canda is completely legal thanks to some new implemented system of taxes or tariffs, I dont exactly recal. So the entire United states could stop uploading files and just rely on the canadians for backup if we had to...and we'd still get our music.

Forgive me for ranting for a moment here, but I've been pissed ever since I learned that the artists make less than a dollar off of every CD they sell, but we're getting charged 20 **cking bucks a pop.

The RIAA are evil rich ********.

Ok, better now. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.