iPhone disconnects from WiFi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
For the past few months I have found my iPhone (5S) not connected to my WiFi. I have a 'hidden' WiFi running off of my Airport Extreme...which is also hooked up to an Airport Express to extend signal throughout the house. This happens several times a week. Any ideals??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're hiding the SSID of your WiFi that may interfere with the connection and it actually does not make your WiFi any more secure. I don't know if that's the reason your iPhone is dropping its connection but it's possible. Also, the fact that you're using an AE to extend the signal may be a factor depending on your location with phone in your house.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Appreciate the response. And the AE extender is well within the range of my iphone. Maybe unhide and see what happens. It only recently (past few months) started doing this and have had WiFi 'hidden' for several years with no problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also check your Airport equipment. You didn't mention how old it is, but it's possible that it's beginning to lose range. We have seen this before even with Apple equipment as it ages. You didn't mention if you were using dual band or not, but if you're by chance on the 5 GHz band, try switching to 2.4 GHz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Dear Charlie

I am losing my range as I age. Any solutions greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah Harry.... you just need to get a newer pair of running shoes. LOL.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I unchecked the 'Create hidden network' box a few days ago and my iPhone has not disconnected from my home WiFi. So maybe that was the issue. My daughter was having the same issue after I told her to make her network hidden. She has also gone back to the way it was and so far so good for her as well. Regarding GHz setup, 2.4GHz and 5GHz Channels are both set to Automatic.
I was also thinking of getting a newer Airport Extreme thinking that may be the problem, but will see. I am using the flat, square Airport Extreme and not the tall one. I have had it for at least 4 or 5 years now. Should I upgrade?
But again, unchecking the 'Create hidden network' box seems to have done the trick....knock on wood. ��

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be advised that Apple is no longer updating Airport equipment, however, they are still selling the latest models on their site. Personally, since there are so many other routers and extenders which are as good and easy to setup, I would look in that direction. I recently purchased an "Archer C7 AC1750 Dual Band Router" from B&H Photo in NY for less than $80.00 and is rated as one of the best home routers. However, there are many more which you can look at and choose from. The Apple equipment is very good but in my opinion is overpriced and soon will be outdated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.