MacBook Air has been working but

Reaction score
Today I tried to open my Mac and the screen comes with my name and a guest user never seen this. Does not respond to anything and there is no box to enter password I am frozen and locked out

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It is a default display with macOS sierra to display the users icons including the Guest User. The Guest User is a special login you can offer friends or family to use which prevents them from accessing your files or making any changes to the System. It does not require a password. When they log out or shut down or you change the user back to yourself everything they did is erased. So, it is a temporary access for people to check their email or whatever without threatening your privacy/security or settings.

Having said that, are you saying that when you click on your User Icon you cannot login? When you click your user name you should be presented with a dialogue box to enter your admin password.

Have you upgraded your Operating System or changed any login preferences or downloaded anything suspect like MacKeeper?

OP
V
Reaction score
I am 63 year old woman and am still negotiating my way through an Apple so I kept trying different combinations and it worked. I can never tell you what I did but my god your response is incredible and I will get to that place where I will know what you are talking about...thank you

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Vanessger, you are very welcome. I am 65 so I am quite confident that you will get to that place you mention.
This forum is dedicated to helping people with less experience than ourselves and we are happy to help with any Apple related problems, there are no silly questions here.
Please feel free to contact this forum for anything you need or don't understand.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For example, if you click on the Apple icon in the menu bar (top left of the screen) and click on Users and Groups in the window that opens you will see the screen shot below.
Follow steps 1 & 2 and you can then select the Guest user in the lefthand column. Click on it and you will see a couple of options. One is to allow guests to login. It goes on to give a full explanation of what that means. If you untick that option the Guest User login will not appear on your startup screen.

2017-04-09 12:32:54.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.