Transferring files from Mac OS X to new MacOS Sierra

Reaction score
Help! Iv had a mac and iPhone for years now (so I don't think I'm completely mac hopeless), and finally decided to upgrade from the original MacBook (running version 10.6.8) to new MacBook Air (version 10.12.1)

Iv tried to transfer photos (JPEG) from old computer to new via hardrive and once connected to new mac - won't open, transfer or anything. I then tried to transfer a document (saved as a pages file) and the new computer just froze almost when I tried to move from harrdrive to desktop. I right click, I left click, I double click.... nothing comes up!!!!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Firstly there is a huge difference between OSX 10.6.8 and 10.12.1 but having said that it ought to be possible to do what you want with an External USB HD but it is not the way I would choose. I have to assume this is what you are referring to when you mention "hardrive".

If you can afford to do so and assuming the new laptop can see the External USB HD I would suggest you erase and reformat it using your new laptop.

To do this open Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder) on your new laptop.
The External USB HD should show up in the side bar, click once on it and choose Erase at the top, give it a name (or keep the old one) and choose Mac OS Extended (Journalled) as the Format and erase.

The resulting External USB HD should work on both devices as a transfer medium.

Bear in mind that media that is application version dependant like picture files need to be transferred as a Library then converted by the current app. So if you want to shift your iPhoto Library to the new device to be opened and stored in the new Photos app you will need to copy the whole library put it in the Picures folder then open it with Photos by choosing it in Library options. This will result in two libraries. If all goes well you can the delete the old iPhoto Library.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Louise. A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

I think this is what you are after - use Migration Assistant - Link: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204350

If you continue having problems or anything is not clear, please post back. We are here to help.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, Ian has given you the method I would choose but it does require a little more "tinkering". In your case you will probably need to use WiFi unless you have a suitable cable. This can be a little slow so I wouldn't try to do all data at once. I would suggest your Home folder first (that's the one with your name on it) and the are sub folders in this like Documents, Movies, Music etc. Choose the one you want.

You could also erase your External USB HD as said and use it to perform a Time Machine Backup of your old mac and then use that in conjunction with Migration Assistant to Migrate all of your files.

Any and all questions are welcomed.

NB. Some of your old Applications may not be compatible with the new device.
Make sure you have updated your iPhone iOS, if it is an old model like an iPhone 4 or 5c you may not be able to sync it with the new iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.