OS Sierra and Vectorworks

Reaction score
I had been running my 2009 MacBook Pro in SnowLeopard until December 2016 when I upgraded to El Capitan and then Sierra. After this was complete I realised I could no longer launch my Vectorworks 2009.

While I don't use Vectorworks very often I do use it occassionally, and don't want to spend the £2,000+ for the 2017 version when the 2009 is great for my needs.

It was suggeted that I create a partition and install SnowLeopard on the partition and then put the Vectorworks 2009 onto this partition. I have done this (including ensuring I also install rosetta); and done all the Mac upgrades as advised but the Vectorworks 2009 will not install.

It goes through the whole installation process, tells me to install the dongle, and then after this it tells me the installation has failed and gives me an installerlog.txt file which contains loads of code which means nothing to me.

I do know other people who have done this successfully so it is driving me nuts that I can't seem to do it.

Please help!

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It's always best to check first that apps you use will still work when upgrading to a new version of OS X. Having said that, it may be best to get in touch with other users of Vectorworks 2009 to see how they have gone about installing it on a separate partition. I suspect but am not sure, that Vectorworks 2009 may be trying to install to the boot partition of your MacBook Pro (which contains El Capitan) instead of the Snow Leopard partition.

You would need to boot from the Snow Leopard partition before trying to install Vectorworks 2009. Are you booting from the Snow Leopard partition? If you have installed Snow Leopard correctly and it's bootable, you should be able to hold down your Option key on booting up and boot directly to Snow Leopard.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks - I think I am doing that - although last time I tried the Vectorworks icon did appear at the bottom of the Sierra dock - so perhaps it is "reaching across" some how - current courses of action include trying to steal my old iMac desktop back from my daughter.....

Kind Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.