New phone coming!

Reaction score
It's my 40th. wedding anniversary and I've heard the rumour that I'm getting a new iPhone (SE) from my wife!! Very exciting but it does leave me with my old (unlocked) 4S to clean up and dispose of.
Once I have the new phone and I have transferred anything over that I need to, I intend doing a factory reset on the 4S. Is there anything else I should be doing to ensure that all my "stuff" is safely removed before selling?
Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This is great news and also, happy wedding anniversary - you've a bit to go before you catch up on me though!

Below is an Apple link telling you what to do; but the things often forgotten are: Back up your phone (to iCloud and iTunes); turn off Find My Phone (and any other Find My services); sign out of iCloud and iTunes and the App Store; (un-pair from an Apple Watch - not in your case, I assume).

This may help: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congrats cheddar-caveman on that 40th wedding anniversary!!!:)

Do you have anything special planned...and since you know that you're (probably) getting a new iPhone...is the wife getting anything special?

Just curious. You don't have to tell.;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I have had a ruby crystal vase hand made for her and of course "the BIG bunch of flowers". (Bought her a new iPhone for Christmas!!) ;D

OP
C
Reaction score
Many thanks, old phone "cleaned", now just registering "hello" when turned on.
New phone iPhone SE - beautiful. One little niggle, no sound when camera shutter activated.
In an instruction I found it said "Adjust the volume of the shutter sound with the Ringer and Alerts settings in Settings > Sounds." No, nothing under the "sounds" link mentions the camera? Anybody got an SE please?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Many thanks, old phone "cleaned", now just registering "hello" when turned on.
New phone iPhone SE - beautiful. One little niggle, no sound when camera shutter activated.
In an instruction I found it said "Adjust the volume of the shutter sound with the Ringer and Alerts settings in Settings > Sounds." No, nothing under the "sounds" link mentions the camera? Anybody got an SE please?

I honestly don't have the answer; but "sounds" can be controlled in three ways:

Mute button

Up & Down volume buttons

Control Centre (swipe up from bottom) and then swipe from Rt to Lt to get to the Control centre for Media (music, video etc). Try moving the Volume slider to maximum.

Worth a try?

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congrats on the new phone (I guess the rumours were true)!;) Sounds like a nice gift for the wife!!!:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
OK, answered my own question - with help from my wife!
It was on "Live" photo! To change to normal, at the top of the camera screen there are five options: flash, HDR, live on/off, timer and multi thing. The live button is yellow when on live, and white when on normal (shutter sound on).

Reaction score
iPhone Accessories

Congratulation for your Wedding anniversary, It's really nice gift for you. You choose the best method and after factory reset all stuff are removed easily.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Congrats on the anniversary. Don't know how I missed this thread before now.

OP
C
Reaction score
The one bit of advice missing from above is to remove the phone from your account otherwise Apple will not let the new owner set it up even though all the data is gone! It is still "registered" as your phone with Apple! Great security!

Here's how to do that:

IMG_7328.jpg

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, cheddar-caveman

I did kind of did mention this way back in post #2. The Link from Apple that I included in that post made the same point.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi there "caveman":

Congratulations on getting your new iPhone SE. It's a great phone to have and fits nicely in one's pocket. My problem is that I use my iPhone to give lectures and need the larger screen of my iPhone 7+ to read off. These old eyes need a large screen! ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even with my glasses on I need the larger screen. A while back I got a new prescription for glasses - the kind that have no line and vary with distance. Don't know about the price for glasses in the UK but here a good pair of glasses with proper frames can easily cost $400 to $500. Not something you want to buy very often.

OP
C
Reaction score
Luckily, so far, I only need reading glasses and they come "off the shelf" as both eyes are equally affected. But who knows what the future holds!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.