• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mini DV Import FCPX Splitting into multiple clips

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
Hi
I am starting a project to import numerous family home movies captured on a JVC tape based camcorder (mini DV). The mini DV tapes, when trying to import to either FCPX or iMovie, split scenes into multiple clips, some lasting maybe just 1 second. I have scanned Google and tried a number of fixes including running a tape head cleaner without success. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
For info, I have this connected to my iMac 27 with firewire then to thunderbolt. Interestingly, if I try to import this using a Windows based PC, then I don't have the same issue?!

Thank you for your comments.

regards
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I use MiniDV as well. Older versions of iMovie used to split clips when it detected a stop/start indication, but the latest version just seems to do it willy nilly.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
I bought a new iLink cable (which I read somewhere that somebody said it helped?!) and that seems to have helped, although its not 100% perfect, it is definitely better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.