Printing

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, this is my first time in this forum and this is my first Mac ever, only purchased couple of weeks ago.

I have a MacBook Pro - Mac osSierra. version 10.12.3

My question is; when printing, certain documents will print perfectly whereas others will print in very poor quality such as very grainy. I have tried printing best-quality and all that does is slow the printing down but not improve it. Also sometimes they print at 25% the size that they should.

By the way, all these documents print perfectly on my PC.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

You haven't given us much to go on. Printing from which application? What printer are you using? And finally, which MacBook Pro do you have? Year and model?

OP
L
Reaction score
Oops sorry,
The printer I'm using is a Canon MX926. The MacBook pro that I have as a Mac OS Sierra Version 10.12.3. I'm not sure what else to write but it was brand-new from shop three weeks ago so I guess it's 2017 model. Thanks in advance for your help if you need more information please tell me where I can find it on my computer

Len

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Len with the printer on, go into System Preferences and right click the name of the printer in the left hand pane, down to Reset Printer and click.

If that shows no joy, highlight the printer in the l.h. pane, hit the little (-) button beneath and the printer will be uninstalled. Then hit the little (+) button and it should search and highlight the printer and place back in the l.h. pane. See if that works.

If no joy download the latest driver which is for OS X.11 and should work. Beneath that is the latest scanner driver also:-

https://www.canon.com.au/support/si...cid=3AD7BD6D4E174543BD299B14319CCA68&ctype=dr

https://www.canon.com.au/support/si...cid=6C465C1411E34215A28116AB30B4BE9C&ctype=dr

Last edited:
OP
L
Reaction score
Hi Harry, thanks for the information especially the two drivers however the printing is still the same. This is only for about half of my printing email invoices (if this helps).

Len

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Len

I am not saying that this will solve your problem, but I suggest you update to the latest version of macOS Sierra (10.12.4).

Who knows, maybe a bug, now resolved?

Ian

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the Mac world, Len. When you are asked "What Mac?" the answer is found by clicking on the  icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then on "About This Mac." The resulting window will tell you what Mac and what version of the operating system you have installed on it. Mine, for example reports that I have "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)" and Version 10.12.4 of Sierra. That "Mid 2015" is the most useful identifier for us here as we try to assist.

Reaction score
This is only for about half of my printing email invoices (if this helps).
If printing from email, how are you accessing the email (webmail, Mail.app)? Assuming that there is an attachment in the email, how are you viewing the attachment before you are about to print it? Are you printing it directly from (within) the email or opening it in Preview?

OP
L
Reaction score
Hello I'm thanks for replying to my post - I access email to print invoices that are sent to me - they come as an attachment and I open the attachment then click this opens another screen and I click print again. I do exactly the same on my PC and they print perfectly. The email header is clearer but only because it is in a larger font when the invoice prints it is in a much smaller font than it should be.

Reaction score
You didn't say whether you are viewing the email from the MacOS Mail app, some other mail client or from webmail using a web browser. But if, when you print, you are getting an email header, then you are likely printing the email (along with a reduced version of the invoice) and not just the invoice. Where you see the invoice in your email, try double clicking on the invoice. It should open in the MacOS Preview app. From there you should choose File/Print and, hopefully, it will print better for you.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeehah!!!!! This has done the trick - Thank you all for your input. Strange though that my pc prints perfectly directly from an email but I have to open the attachment in Mac - oh well. Thanks again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now you know why Macs are more secure than PCs.... ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.