• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie beginner question exporting clips

Reaction score
I am somewhat of a beginner at iMovie, and I am not sure conceptually how to do this. I have imported into iMovie tapes from the past. They are 60 or 90 minutes long. I want to scan through them and export clips of the choice parts, probably just a few seconds each. (For example, I taped my kids swimming in the pool, but just want the clips of each jumping in). But how do I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You need to create a Project first. Then select and drag clips onto the Project Timeline. Then you can Export them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
osx 10.8.5
Ha, looking for imovie help myself when I found this. Not trying to deter anyone from the forum, I'm sure you'll get answers here too, but every time I launch Imovie I know I'm going to spend hours doing what should be simple. It's NOT a very intuitive program at all. But… try youtube. BE SURE you search for the specific version you have too. Enough changes that tutorials will be useless if your on a different version.
Then start fishing. Some are aweful and some are spot on. Believe it or not I found that kids can put together the best tutorials. Some of the real fancy professional looking ones blabber on and never answer the question.

Note; I was just searching yesterday for a different question and if you happen to have version 11, you can put clips side by side, or even insert a clip right over another. Previous version won't do that.
Again, youtube is your friend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.