• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Uneven audio in iMovie HD

D

davehardy

There seems to be a serious problem in iMovie HD which wasn't in earlier versions. I like to add music (MP3s from iTunes) to a movie, fading it up and down around speech, which used to work perfectly, altering the Clip Volume. It still sounds fine in iMovie, but when I burn it in iDVD, the result is jerky, with sudden bursts of volume when it should be fading smoothly to silence, or into another piece of music. I have wasted 5 DVDs so far, trying to correct it each time. Can anyone help, PLEASE??!! Has anyone else found this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Instead of wasting DVDs, try Save as Disc Image from iDVD. I believe you can open that as a disc and use DVD player with it.

Have you got any third party codecs installed like Flip4Mac? For some reason I think that one has caused odd issues for people.

Try exporting the movie as a Full Quality Quicktime movie and see if the audio problem still exists. If not, you should be able to import that file to iDVD and even iMovie if you have to fix chapter markers.

OP
D

davehardy

Irregular sound in iMovie on DVD

Thanks. Yes, I just tried that (disc image). Can you believe: when played from that, there is no sound at all, except for the iDVD menu At least my DVDs did have sound, even if it was cr*p!

I tried exporting from iMovie to camera, and then recording that on a domestic DVD recorder. The result was exactly the same, so the problem isn't with iDVD.

I believe it is a bug in iMovie HD, because I've done exactly the same process many times before with earlier versions, lots of music fades and cross-fades, and no problem at all. . . (You may seen one result, SPACE MUSIK, on my website at www.astroart.org)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Are both audio sources the same bit rate. You camera can record at either 12 or 16 bit. You're music import may not match. I've heard those type of differences can cause issues, but have no experience with the problem. When I've heard of that, it seems to to be a syncing problem as in timing with the picture.

Perhaps you should try copying the project, export the audio tracks, check them, and re-import them if they turn out well.

Also, Garage band is designed to do what your talking about. It is called ducking I think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.