Thunderbolt Splitter Recommendation Please

Reaction score
Hi!

On my mid-2012 macbook pro, I would like to connect an external HD and a monitor through my one Thunderbolt port.

I'm finding docking stations online which may do the trick -->

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UUCQVBK/?tag=macforums0e4-20

But they have more connections than I actually need--and cost more than I'd like to spend.

Can someone recommend a dock or splitter cable that only has two Thunderbolt connections?

I'm very grateful for your help! Thanks in advance!

OP
S
Reaction score
OK--well I see I've stumped this board. So here's why probably...

On further inspection, my initial question was phrased incorrectly. The monitor I have is an Apple Cinema Display model A1082 which has a whole bunch of inputs--none of which I'm quite sure how to connect. Can anyone point me towards a solution?

In my computer I have --

Gigabit Ethernet port
FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps) - Digital Audio Interface
Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps) - One open and one with a dongle
Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps) - connecting my external HD

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The 1082 is 23" Cinema Display released in June 2004, and the connector is a dual link DVI. Sounds like the display is too old to work with the MBP as the DVI connector and cable were quite large and lumpy.

They did work with what was known as a mini display port but I think your MBP has by passed that technology. Here is what the cable looked like and see how old this stuff is when they talk Leopard OS X.5, pre Intel days:-

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Ah--thanks very much for the response. I've had this great looking 23 inch monitor sitting on my desk--thinking I just needed the right adaptor to hook it up. I guess it's ready for recycling?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't know about recycling, maybe selling on an auction site may be bettern than a dumpster.

It was the same with the original Studio displays and Apple Direct Connect (ADC). The were a beautiful display that hooked up to a Mac tower, with power, DVI, sound and USB all in one cable with no need for mains connection. The G5 tower saw the end of them alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.