• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Puzzling...can't transfer movie to SD card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
The SD card has 25,5 gigs available.
The movie from my hard drive is 15.5 gigs
When I try dumping the movie to the card I get the following message:
This item can't be copied because it is too large for the volume's format
Any ideas, anyone?
-Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Check the drive formatting on the card (single click the card and choose Command I). if the drive is formatted as FAT 32 thats the likely source of the problem. No matter how much space the drive has FAT 32 limits individual files to 4 GB or less. Working around that problem would require reformatting the card to some other format (OS X Extended, journaled or NTFS). Ex Fat might also work but I haven't worked with that system much.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
The file I'm trying to move to the card is 15.3 GB. So as you say, that's probably the problem. It's a movie file. How about dividing the movie into 4 equal parts (3.82 GB)...can do that with Quick Time 7.... then moving each of those to the card. In other words I would be turning the original movie into 4 separate ones, each less than 4GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The file I'm trying to move to the card is 15.3 GB. So as you say, that's probably the problem. It's a movie file. How about dividing the movie into 4 equal parts (3.82 GB)...can do that with Quick Time 7.... then moving each of those to the card. In other words I would be turning the original movie into 4 separate ones, each less than 4GB?

Hi Backlighting - believe that Sly has likely provided you an answer - first, tell us how the SD card is formatted, and second, what are the drive specifics of the individual who will be watching the movie? Below is a quote that I've left in the past (summary from a number of websites including Mac Rumors) - look at the details and decide which format might be the best - splitting the large file into 4+ parts seems unnecessary - good luck and let us know - Dave :)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
* Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
* Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac OS X system files.

* To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive

* To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
* Maximum file size: 8EiB
* Maximum volume size: 8EiB
* Mac OS X: Mac OS Extended format (HFS Plus) volume and file limits
* You can use this format if you only use the drive with Mac OS X, or use it for backups of your Mac OS X internal drive, or if you only share it with one Windows PC (with MacDrive installed on the PC)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
* Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
* Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X

* To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
* For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
* For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
* For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
* Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
* Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
* AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
* Maximum file size: 16 TB
* Maximum volume size: 256TB
* You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
* Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
* Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
* exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
* AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
* Maximum file size: 16 EiB
* Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
* You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
* Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.

* Maximum file size: 4GB.
* Maximum volume size: 2TB
* You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly/ Dave
The drive formatting on the card is FAT 32. I didn't mention in my post that I have other .mov files on the card, which I want kept on the card & they amount to 6 GB.
Since I'm proficient with Quick Time 7 player I can easily create 4 movies out of the 1 so that is way I'll proceed.
Didn't know about the limitations on Fat 32 so thanks much Sly, you came thru again...hope you get a raise.
Dave, your reply was very informative too... so thanks.
Til next time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You will have to buy another card and formatiton the Mac to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). They are very cheap. Don't do that Backlightong. The Mods get paid far too much already!

Sly got a ten gallon hat this month already!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly got a ten gallon hat this month already!
With support from a few more folks like member Backlighting I might be able to talk the folks into a matching belt buckle to go with that hat. Of course the belt will have to have a few more notches than it did when I was younger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Sly/ Dave
The drive formatting on the card is FAT 32. I didn't mention in my post that I have other .mov files on the card, which I want kept on the card & they amount to 6 GB.
Since I'm proficient with Quick Time 7 player I can easily create 4 movies out of the 1 so that is way I'll proceed.
Didn't know about the limitations on Fat 32 so thanks much Sly, you came thru again...hope you get a raise.
Dave, your reply was very informative too... so thanks.
Til next time.

What is your purpose for putting the movie files on the removable drive? Is it for backup only? Or, will you be inserting the drive into another system to view?

If you're only backing up data and no other system would ever be "consuming" the content, you could consider copying the existing files off of the drive and onto your hard disk, re-formatting the removable drive to either HFS+ or exFAT.

If you're going to use the drive in other systems, you could still consider re-formatting, but the filesystem you choose should be influenced by the limitations of the other systems that will be using it. Basically, you format it for the most limiting device that would consume the data.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will have to buy another card and formatiton the Mac to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). They are very cheap.
Understood. Will do on the next card I get.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is your purpose for putting the movie files on the removable drive? Is it for backup only? Or, will you be inserting the drive into another system to view?

If you're only backing up data and no other system would ever be "consuming" the content, you could consider copying the existing files off of the drive and onto your hard disk, re-formatting the removable drive to either HFS+ or exFAT.

If you're going to use the drive in other systems, you could still consider re-formatting, but the filesystem you choose should be influenced by the limitations of the other systems that will be using it. Basically, you format it for the most limiting device that would consume the data.

Hello
My purpose is for back-up only.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're using SD cards for backup, you need to reconsider. SD cards are unreliable and subject to failure more often than other media such as an external hard drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, but I don't believe the graphs or stats depict real life usage. I'm speaking from experience and from the experience of others. SD cards do fail more often and are definitely not as reliable as SSD drives. For one, it's media that has to be inserted and removed and on and on again in order to be used. That alone takes away from its reliability. Sure it may be more reliable as it remains in a camera and used primarily for photography, but that's not the same as using it for backups.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're using SD cards for backup, you need to reconsider. SD cards are unreliable and subject to failure more often than other media such as an external hard drive.
I agree. I'm using them to back up my external drive...a back-up to a back-up...on a few select files. I understand their limitations.
For the record: Sly dude answered my first post in this thread with some good info about an hr. after my post appeared. Now that's quick! As I've said before...a raise should be on the near horizon for him, if not recently given.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help. Since the raise has not recently materialized, I assume that either:
1. It is forthcoming as you suggest.
2. It has been vetoed by someone higher up the chain. I'm told they can be an "overly thrifty" lot. :Mischievous:

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help. Since the raise has not recently materialized, I assume that either:
1. It is forthcoming as you suggest.
2. It has been vetoed by someone higher up the chain. I'm told they can be an "overly thrifty" lot. :Mischievous:

lol..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is of course the possibility that they are working on magic beans in hopes that I will accept that in lieu of cash.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is of course the possibility that they are working on magic beans in hopes that I will accept that in lieu of cash.

Shoot for the sky and demand kruggerands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Sorry, but I don't believe the graphs or stats depict real life usage. I'm speaking from experience and from the experience of others. SD cards do fail more often and are definitely not as reliable as SSD drives. For one, it's media that has to be inserted and removed and on and on again in order to be used. That alone takes away from its reliability. Sure it may be more reliable as it remains in a camera and used primarily for photography, but that's not the same as using it for backups.

In your example, the issue is not failure of the media but failure of the contacts. And, I agree that constant insert/remove operations can and will cause wear. But...

A) A quality card that's well-built will still last a very long time
B) If the card is having issues, it will have a high likelihood of exhibiting problems at the time you're trying to copy data TO it
C) If there's real concern about damage to the contacts, put the card in a reader and leave it there, then attach/detach the reader with its USB cable

I've only ever had one SD card fail on me in the last ten years (since I started using them, basically), and it was a cheap card that gave me trouble almost from the start. You're much more likely to run into a problem because of exceeding P/E cycles on them than anything else. So, be sure you're buying cards that are designed for long-term use and use them correctly.

And, as with everything else, everyone has to make their own decisions on what needs to be backed up and how much value it has. Only then can someone determine what they're willing to spend to back that content up.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"And, as with everything else, everyone has to make their own decisions on what needs to be backed up and how much value it has. Only then can someone determine what they're willing to spend to back that content up."

Absolutely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.