magic mouse 2 and magic keyboard charging question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
can they charge if the computer is sleeping?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes, They will charge while the computer sleeps. I'm in the habit of turning my mouse and keyboard off while they are charging but I don't think it's necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Both do but the trackpad does not. Confusing ain't it?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good to know Harry. I still have the original model of the trackpad which takes batteries rather than being rechargeable itself. I've born thinking of getting the newer trackpad. I kinda assumed that it would recharge during sleep but that's not a huge issue for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Sly... my mouse charges under any and all conditions, even during the hot Texas Summer weather. Oh, and ... it's got a tail which plugs into the back of the iMac. LOL. I hate magic mice, magic keyboards, and especially any kind of trackpad. Send them all to Harry is what I say! :Evil: ;P

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the mouse and keyboard. Both work fine for me though I might spring for the keyboard we were talking about as soon as Van cuts the check for my back pay. :Mischievous: Had those since I bought the iMac. Old trackpad still works so no need for a new one.

Only thing I don't like about the mouse is where the cable connects. Virtually impossible to use the mouse while it's charging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep on dreaming old son. Since Donald no funds will flow across the border! I let my Mac sleep and when necessary hook up the TB/USB cable overnight.

Reaction score
I have the mouse and keyboard. Both work fine for me though I might spring for the keyboard we were talking about as soon as Van cuts the check for my back pay. :Mischievous: Had those since I bought the iMac. Old trackpad still works so no need for a new one.

Only thing I don't like about the mouse is where the cable connects. Virtually impossible to use the mouse while it's charging.

AMEN! Utterly STUPID design!!!!
We miss you, Steve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have the original Magique sourie and I have to change the batteries about every 3rd blue moon when it falls on a Friday so I have no intention of changing that one, but I do like the Magique trackpad 2, I think? The one with the small lightening socket.

I also have the bluetooth keyboard that came with the iMac in 2010 and likewise, the batteries last for ages, so no problems there either. It doesn't get switched off very often either. The last 2 batteries when in about a month ago and still register 70%. I use it with the MBP, that way the MBP is up higher and doesn't strain my poor old neck so much. It's a sod growing old and now I know what it's all for it either doesn't work any more or keeps on falling off :Grimmace::Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John the new models are just great. The keyboard and mouse last for over a month, but the trackpad uses 32% of the charge whilst the keyboard uses 2% so it is a hungry little so and so. They are each a huge improvement overt the earlier model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I am sure that is right Harry, but the kit I have now is working perfectly and Duracel AA batteries cost me about 16 pence each and that's a lot of batteries for the cost of replacing something that works, init??

If they fail, then that's a different situation and that is what is so galling about having to replace my graphics tablet I have talked of in a different thread. I've spent all of my life fixing things fron aircraft to my neighbours gazebo annd I work on the principle 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it';);)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.