Photos and iCloud

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question but...

Got a new mac. All my photos uploaded to Photos via iCloud.

Alls good there.

However, now I'm trying to upload the photos to Shutterfly. I can't. I believe it has something to with the iCloud.

Does this sound right? Do I have to download the pics from the cloud to the computer some how? And if so, how?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe you can upload directly to Shutterfly via iCloud. You probably will need to have those copies on your Mac before uploading to Shutterfly. Have you checked your Photos library to see what it contains?

OP
C
Reaction score
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is...

How to get the pictures in the photo app to be downloaded on to the computer and not just showing up via the cloud.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have "Photo Stream" turned on?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@cdallabetta

If you go into Photos > Preferences (the shortcut for accessing Preferences when in Photos is Command plus comma, that is hold down the Cmd key and press on the comma key).

Within Preferences, click on iCloud.

You will see a window, as below. I suggest that you might consider ticking the same boxes as I have. There is a brief explanation against each option.

sc1.png

See if this helps. Feel free to keep coming back till you are satisfied.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@cdallabetta

Had any luck yet?

If you used the settings in my post #5, your pictures will download to your Mac, as you wanted, whilst still being backed up in the Cloud.

My Photo Stream is explained for you - it does require that iCloud Photo Library is turned off on all other Devices.

Ian

Reaction score
Just did this because i needed all my 6000 photos on my Android also. Then went into the master folder inside Photo photo library ;)

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@MuggeGHQ

Thank you for posting; much appreciated. Glad it worked out for you. 6000 photos....wow, as they say.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
+1…

Just did this because i needed all my 6000 photos on my Android also.

That should fill up a good amount of its storage capacity!! :Blushing:

PS: Thanks Ian for your screen shot as we've been having some problems with my wife's iPhone not uploading her new photos to iCloud or them not being available on her other Mac or iDevice.
I'll check again later today when she's back home.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
If you can see your photos when you open the Photo app you don't need to do anything more to be able to up load to the web. Start from the web site you want to upload to and follow their directions to where the Finder window opens up to chose your photo. Then scroll on down past Pictures in the sidebar and under Media you will see Music, Photos and Movies, select Photos and the Photo app will open and you can select any photo you want and upload to the website. If you see Media but no list below it, hover your mouse over it and then click on Show.
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 2.24.55 PM.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.