3 Week Remote Music Player Iphone7?

Reaction score
I work in remote AK for up to 3 weeks at a time in a tent. Looking to have some music to pass the time. I have no power other than AA batteries. No cell or wifi service.

I have a 128gb iPhone 7 and a small (2 charges) charger. Don't think that will last 3 weeks ha ha.
Will the 7 work if I got a large capacity back up power source or should I look into another MP3 player? I know there are ways to increase battery life on the 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
I don't know where AK is, but is it sunny there? What about a solar charger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I don't know where AK is, but is it sunny there? What about a solar charger?

Hi Diane... - if a state abbreviation, then Alaska - ;) May be sunny but likely cold this time of the year depending on the location - for the OP, if I think of some solution (or partial one), then will post back. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
Ha! I was thinking more internationally - like Africa or Indonesia! Alaska - I do know where that is!! ;)

I still think a solar charger would be great. I've seen them for backpacks so as you go about your daily work outside your phone gets charged. A student of mine even set his in a sunny window (not sure how effective that would be in Vancouver - we've had rain for many many days).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I work in remote AK for up to 3 weeks at a time in a tent. Looking to have some music to pass the time. I have no power other than AA batteries. No cell or wifi service.

I have a 128gb iPhone 7 and a small (2 charges) charger. Don't think that will last 3 weeks ha ha.
Will the 7 work if I got a large capacity back up power source or should I look into another MP3 player? I know there are ways to increase battery life on the 7.

Hi Landtoy.. - well, if your time was just a week or so, I would suggest buying several much larger capacity battery backup devices, and w/ your phone's radios off, music playback on a full charge should supply hours of playback. I assume that you have 'light' in the tent - does your lighting use a liquid fuel? If so, is there any type of generator running on the same fuel that might provide an AC outlet option? Finally, do you have a vehicle in which a charge could done by plugging into a cigarette lighter?

As to the latter option above (i.e. a vehicle), I own the Xantrex battery backup unit shown below that has an AC outlet which would allow charging an iDevice w/ its own adapter - probably could get a dozen or more charges - mine is charged w/ an AC adapter, but a cigarette adapter can be used - check the link if this is even a possibility; of course, there are other companies making similar products. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.14.49 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha! I was thinking more internationally - like Africa or Indonesia! Alaska - I do know where that is!! ;)

I still think a solar charger would be great. I've seen them for backpacks so as you go about your daily work outside your phone gets charged. A student of mine even set his in a sunny window (not sure how effective that would be in Vancouver - we've had rain for many many days).

Good point w/ solar - just left my post and that option was not included. I also have several hand-cranked radios for power outages, but have never googled for hand-cranked power generators - could get some exercise! ;) Dave

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes it Alaska,USA. I work wildfires, they fly me in to a airstrip, I fuel helicopters that fight the fires and sleep in tent at night. If it's at a village, there might be power but if it's at a airstrip in Arctic then the only power source is batteries and the sun.

For the most part, there is no meed for a light source as it's daylight most or all of the day during fire season. If it does get dark like when I worked in Nevada,USA you are tired from the 16 hr day and just sleep in the tent and use a small flashlight if needed. We eat MRE's so no cooking equipment is on site.

Because of flying in on small plane, weight and size is an issue. I have wondered if the pocket sized solar units could hold up to daily use for weeks at a time all summer. Hand crank will not work as I am very busy at the fuel site all day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it Alaska,USA. I work wildfires, they fly me in to a airstrip, I fuel helicopters that fight the fires and sleep in tent at night. If it's at a village, there might be power but if it's at a airstrip in Arctic then the only power source is batteries and the sun.

For the most part, there is no meed for a light source as it's daylight most or all of the day during fire season. If it does get dark like when I worked in Nevada,USA you are tired from the 16 hr day and just sleep in the tent and use a small flashlight if needed. We eat MRE's so no cooking equipment is on site.

Because of flying in on small plane, weight and size is an issue. I have wondered if the pocket sized solar units could hold up to daily use for weeks at a time all summer. Hand crank will not work as I am very busy at the fuel site all day.

Well, you're really 'roughing it' - been to Alaska just once (2-week trip) in August years ago - Nome was the furthest north we went (except for a day trip to Kotzebue), remember about 3 or so hours of darkness only.

Appears that several solar battery chargers would be your best option - just curious so looking on Amazon found the one (of many choices) below - 10,000 mAh unit - not sure which size iPhone you own but their capacities are about 2000 & 3000 mAh, so about 3-4 phone charges from a full battery - in one the the questions answered about this unit, does take a while to charge (see quote below - LINK) - as to their ruggedness, reliability, and weather resistance - no idea, but if interested you might want to follow the link and look at some other questions answered or leave one yourself. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 2.17.59 PM.png
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 2.20.44 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@landtoy80:

Buy a battery operated MP3 player and take a good supply of Alkaline batteries with you. Using your iPhone in Arctic weather is not recommended anyway. Don't know what the Summer temps are up there but I know when I was stationed with the USAF at a BMEWS site in northern Greenland, it was still very cold during the all daylight Summer months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.