Mouse Housekeeping

Reaction score
I suspect like a lot of people in this forum, I am brand new to Mac, and I have what some may think, is a silly question. But, whew..... here goes!

I have noticed that when I turn my computer on, the mouse pointer is always parked up in the top left hand corner. Is there any way to re-position this upon start up?

Thanks,

Ol Cob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No that is the default.

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum. As Harry said, it's a default and not changeable. You'll get used to it in a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Welcome to the forum. As Harry said, it's a default and not changeable. You'll get used to it in a while.

Personally, I won't "get used to it." I hate that not only is in the top-left corner and not configurable from a position standpoint, but I can't change the default system-level acceleration. On the 27" screen, with as slow as it moves by default, it takes a couple of "sweeps" of the mouse to get the pointer to the middle of the screen. After I log in, my personalized acceleration settings kick in and it works properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Let the computer go to sleep rather than switching off.

Reaction score
Personally, I won't "get used to it." I hate that not only is in the top-left corner and not configurable from a position standpoint, but I can't change the default system-level acceleration. On the 27" screen, with as slow as it moves by default, it takes a couple of "sweeps" of the mouse to get the pointer to the middle of the screen. After I log in, my personalized acceleration settings kick in and it works properly.

What kind of mouse are you using? There are apps which let you adjust the acceleration depending on what mouse.

re-reading this I see you're using something to change the acceleration, it just wont work until log in is completed. Never mind.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
On startup the mouse will be in it's default position - no changing that. And yes it will move slow until the OS loads. I don't use the mouse until I have the OS fully loaded. I use the right arrow key to select the account I want then all I have to do is type in my password. I always have two accounts in case one becomes corrupt.

Lisa

OP
O
Reaction score

Thank you for the welcome, and for the quick responses everyone! I have fallen in love with my Mac, it was the fruition of a dream held since 1990, and I am not disappointed in the least. I admit to somewhat of a learning curve, but it is getting easier. Again, thank you for the welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The biggest learning curve is .. this is not Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz i5, Radeon Pro 570, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 1 TB 7200-rpm
After I log in, my personalized acceleration settings kick in and it works properly.

This is not unique behaviour to Mac OS X - all Unix- and Linux-based distributions work the same way. They are user-level settings and naturally won't take effect until after you've logged in.

Personally, I won't "get used to it." I hate that not only is in the top-left corner and not configurable from a position standpoint, but I can't change the default system-level acceleration. On the 27" screen, with as slow as it moves by default, it takes a couple of "sweeps" of the mouse to get the pointer to the middle of the screen.

A lot of people coming from Windows find the tracking algorithm in OS X strange at first, but it's designed to give you finer-grain control over cursor movement. If you move your mouse across your desk without leaving your wrist completely still, you'll notice the cursor tracking speed feels a lot faster. Windows tracking acceleration is more linear so a lot of people can control cursor movement by keeping their wrist still and just moving their mouse a very small amount - the downside to this is you lose precision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
This is not unique behaviour to Mac OS X - all Unix- and Linux-based distributions work the same way. They are user-level settings and naturally won't take effect until after you've logged in.

I quite understand what personal settings are and why they don't load until the user logs in. That is not what my complaint is. I specifically dislike the fact that I can not change the system default.

A lot of people coming from Windows find the tracking algorithm in OS X strange at first, but it's designed to give you finer-grain control over cursor movement. If you move your mouse across your desk without leaving your wrist completely still, you'll notice the cursor tracking speed feels a lot faster. Windows tracking acceleration is more linear so a lot of people can control cursor movement by keeping their wrist still and just moving their mouse a very small amount - the downside to this is you lose precision.

And if you have the 27" screen, it's a LOT of real estate to cover at Apple's excessively slow speed. The need for additional granularity for most people simply isn't there. We aren't graphic artists or CAD designers. We're writing email, typing up papers, and browsing the web.

Properly built mouse drivers would allow for significant speed-up of the cursor while also allowing for more granular level control when moving the mouse slowly. Apple takes an all-or-nothing approach with purely a tracking speed and no account for acceleration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
How hard is it to move the mouse cursor? How long does it take? Are these the only obstacles to using your Mac? Does picking up your left sock rather than your right one when dressing set you off in a bad mood for the rest of the day?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz i5, Radeon Pro 570, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 1 TB 7200-rpm
I quite understand what personal settings are and why they don't load until the user logs in. That is not what my complaint is. I specifically dislike the fact that I can not change the system default.

And if you have the 27" screen, it's a LOT of real estate to cover at Apple's excessively slow speed. The need for additional granularity for most people simply isn't there. We aren't graphic artists or CAD designers. We're writing email, typing up papers, and browsing the web.

Properly built mouse drivers would allow for significant speed-up of the cursor while also allowing for more granular level control when moving the mouse slowly. Apple takes an all-or-nothing approach with purely a tracking speed and no account for acceleration.

Most people understand what you are referring to, but don't happen to share the same problem, myself included. You're not the first one to complain about it, but you're simply used to the way a mouse tracks under Windows - that's the source of your problem. If you are really unhappy, return your Mac. If you can't do that, sell it and buy a Windows computer - there are plenty of very compelling hardware options out there. No amount of complaining will change the way it works. We are Mac users, just like you - not someone at Apple that can change the way it works to make you happy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
System default explains is beautifully - that's what the system defaults to. Take it up with Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.