PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Housekeeping

Ol_Cob
03-17-2017, 11:39 PM
I suspect like a lot of people in this forum, I am brand new to Mac, and I have what some may think, is a silly question. But, whew..... here goes!

I have noticed that when I turn my computer on, the mouse pointer is always parked up in the top left hand corner. Is there any way to re-position this upon start up?

Thanks,

Ol Cob

harryb2448
03-18-2017, 12:14 AM
No that is the default.

MacInWin
03-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the forum. As Harry said, it's a default and not changeable. You'll get used to it in a while.

Ember1205
03-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the forum. As Harry said, it's a default and not changeable. You'll get used to it in a while.

Personally, I won't "get used to it." I hate that not only is in the top-left corner and not configurable from a position standpoint, but I can't change the default system-level acceleration. On the 27" screen, with as slow as it moves by default, it takes a couple of "sweeps" of the mouse to get the pointer to the middle of the screen. After I log in, my personalized acceleration settings kick in and it works properly.

badshoehabit
03-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Let the computer go to sleep rather than switching off.

cradom
03-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Personally, I won't "get used to it." I hate that not only is in the top-left corner and not configurable from a position standpoint, but I can't change the default system-level acceleration. On the 27" screen, with as slow as it moves by default, it takes a couple of "sweeps" of the mouse to get the pointer to the middle of the screen. After I log in, my personalized acceleration settings kick in and it works properly.

What kind of mouse are you using? There are apps which let you adjust the acceleration depending on what mouse.

re-reading this I see you're using something to change the acceleration, it just wont work until log in is completed. Never mind.

lclev
03-18-2017, 05:00 PM
On startup the mouse will be in it's default position - no changing that. And yes it will move slow until the OS loads. I don't use the mouse until I have the OS fully loaded. I use the right arrow key to select the account I want then all I have to do is type in my password. I always have two accounts in case one becomes corrupt.

Lisa

Ol_Cob
03-18-2017, 09:04 PM

Thank you for the welcome, and for the quick responses everyone! I have fallen in love with my Mac, it was the fruition of a dream held since 1990, and I am not disappointed in the least. I admit to somewhat of a learning curve, but it is getting easier. Again, thank you for the welcome!

harryb2448
03-18-2017, 11:33 PM
The biggest learning curve is .. this is not Windows.

Ember1205
03-19-2017, 10:03 AM
This is not unique behaviour to Mac OS X - all Unix- and Linux-based distributions work the same way. They are user-level settings and naturally won't take effect until after you've logged in.

I quite understand what personal settings are and why they don't load until the user logs in. That is not what my complaint is. I specifically dislike the fact that I can not change the system default.

A lot of people coming from Windows find the tracking algorithm in OS X strange at first, but it's designed to give you finer-grain control over cursor movement. If you move your mouse across your desk without leaving your wrist completely still, you'll notice the cursor tracking speed feels a lot faster. Windows tracking acceleration is more linear so a lot of people can control cursor movement by keeping their wrist still and just moving their mouse a very small amount - the downside to this is you lose precision.

And if you have the 27" screen, it's a LOT of real estate to cover at Apple's excessively slow speed. The need for additional granularity for most people simply isn't there. We aren't graphic artists or CAD designers. We're writing email, typing up papers, and browsing the web.

Properly built mouse drivers would allow for significant speed-up of the cursor while also allowing for more granular level control when moving the mouse slowly. Apple takes an all-or-nothing approach with purely a tracking speed and no account for acceleration.

Sawday
03-19-2017, 10:26 AM
How hard is it to move the mouse cursor? How long does it take? Are these the only obstacles to using your Mac? Does picking up your left sock rather than your right one when dressing set you off in a bad mood for the rest of the day?

badshoehabit
03-20-2017, 06:21 AM
System default explains is beautifully - that's what the system defaults to. Take it up with Apple.