Remote Control (Aluminium Type)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Good evening fella's. Does the Aluminium type remote still work with iMac. I have just installed a new battery and cannot get it connected.

Cheers,

Gandalph.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The older remotes were white plastic and they definitely will not work without an IR receiver. The aluminum remote is a later model. I see you have a newer iMac. Are you trying to get it to work with your 5K iMac? I just checked the Apple specs and your remote will not work with retina models from 2012 on. If you had an older white one, you could buy an IR adapter from a Canadian company which makes them and with additional software it works. Not sure if you can do the same with the aluminum model.

OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thank's for the reply chscag. That's just what I thought. It hasn't worked since Apple took the Entertainment Centre off the iMac. I thought they might have put it in the App Store as an accessory but no such luck. Ah well I can do without it.

Many thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
There is the "Remote" iOS App from Apple, that you can install on your iPhone and should work with some apps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is the "Remote" iOS App from Apple, that you can install on your iPhone and should work with some apps.

I just checked it out in the iOS App Store and it looks like it only works with iTunes and possibly with an Apple TV. It sure would be nice if it worked with Powerpoint or Keynote and maybe even with QuickTime like the older IR remote did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
Gandalph
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thank's for all your replies. It's one of those things I can live without. I have an Apple remote for my 4th Gen Apple TV so OK there. I was just hoping that my old Aluminium type would work with iTunes, but as I say, I can live without it.

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.