dead spot in new mac pro 15#

Reaction score
I have a mac pro 2016 bought in january 2017. there is a deadspot in the pad about 3/4inch up from the left bottom corner. The pointer doesn't move or react. Can anyone help? I don't want to send it back I need it day-to-day. Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Assuming you're referring to a MacBook Pro not a Mac Pro which is a very different machine. If there is a dead spot in the glass trackpad, my advice is return the machine while you can and exchange it for a new one. You have 2 weeks to do that so do not wait past that time frame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz i5, Radeon Pro 570, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 1 TB 7200-rpm
If you are trying to move the cursor at or near the very bottom of the trackpad, it is normal behaviour for the trackpad not to respond because some users rest their thumb at the bottom of the trackpad for clicking. The last time I used a MacBook trackpad was around 2014, and I found the operating system cancelled out any small movements near the bottom edge of the trackpad to avoid causing the cursor to move from your thumb resting.

I would suggest visiting a local Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorised Reseller and test the machines there to see if you experience the same behaviour with the trackpad. If you are still unhappy or do believe it to be a hardware issue, I would suggest returning your MacBook Pro for a refund or replacement before it's too late - you have 14 days from the day of purchase to do so.

I don't know about others, but this is the first time I have heard of your problem.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Really appreciate people taking time to help. I went to the Apple store, the genius bar said it happens now and then. Seeing them in a week will let you know. If it were any of my older machines I would have said there was grit under the pad but I doubt it is that. I have tried the Apple mouse, BTW, I found it slow to respond. Greedy for knowledge I know but can anyone suggest a best answer for that. Appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. I just can't believe that a new glass trackpad (MacBook Pro 2016 models) has a dead spot. It appears that since the genius bar stated that it happens now and then, I'm assuming they are admitting to the defect? Make sure you backup all your data prior to taking it in to be serviced or replaced. Use both Time Machine and cloning software to an external hard drive. Use either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. And keep us updated on the problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
In fairness to Apple they didn't say it was a problem with this model, the guy getting rid of a queue of people made a quick appointment date, it was a casual remark that it can happen with a pad. Maybe I somehow have grit under it but to me the pad looks closer to the casing on the trouble spot left bottom side.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doubt seriously that there is grit under the pad, but I guess it could happen in the manufacturing process. I would guess that it's defect in the pad itself but who knows? Anyway, for your sake I hope they just swap out your MBP for a new one rather than make you wait while they replace the entire pad assembly with the keyboard and top case. If you already don't know, the 2016 machines have one of the lowest repair accessibility ratings of any Mac that Apple has thus far built. In other words, everything is either glued together or surface mounted to the logic board. You might want to consider buying Apple Care for that machine if you have not already done so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.