Recs for a low cost photo manager?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple program to organize my photos. I don't need anything to retouch them. Just something simple to organize it all. Suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about the "Photos" app that is included with OS X? The Photos app is designed not only as an editor but also as an organizer for your photos, albums, etc.

OP
O
Reaction score
I don't find it terribly intuitive. I just need something simple and thought there might be some option out there like that

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, they don't come any easier or more simple than the included Photos program as far as I know. There are other great programs for organizing but most include an editor and can be quite expensive. The Photos program is free and does a good job of organizing. You probably need to practice a bit with it in order to get used to the way it does the organizing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Photos not intuitive? How do you want to sort your images that's proving difficult?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's an overview of Photos that covers some of the basics. It seems to cover both organization and editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm looking for a simple program to organize my photos. I don't need anything to retouch them. Just something simple to organize it all. Suggestions?

I don't find it terribly intuitive. I just need something simple and thought there might be some option out there like that

Hi Oxband - I would have to say that your best option is to use Photos, like advised by all of the others - of course, you could search the App Store for 'Photo Managers' and likely find a few, but I organize my images in Finder and bring selected ones into Photos - even have the book shown below on my iPad (published in 2015 but still a nice introduction and about $10 as a Kindle purchase).

Now, you've not told us 'how complicated' your photo collection may be especially in regards to number of images and how you may want to arrange the pics, e.g. trips, dates, faces, etc.? But if your needs are indeed rather 'simple', then Finder might be a solution - the screen capture below is from the 'Pictures' sidebar selection w/ the files/folders arranged by 'Kind' (there are many other choices as seen in the inserts - even tags could be used) - my 'trips' are arranged into folders (and w/i several folders are other sub-folders, like 'Florida Trips' which we do every spring) - take a look at this ARTICLE for some further discussion on using Finder as your 'photo manager' - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 3.02.58 PM.png
51Cq68-dIlL._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.