• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Output quality - FCP X - iMovie - Adobe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi

I have posted a question similar to this in the past, so apologies for "sort of" repeating myself.

I have a number of HD recordings from my camcorder, recorded in 1080p @ 25fps (PAL). and I am happy with the quality of the recordings. A couple of years ago I bought Final Cut Pro (10.1.4) which I found easy to use and quite intuitive. However, when I exported to Blu-ray, I was less than impressed with the results. I tried editing in iMovie and exporting as a quick time file and found the quality was much the same. In eagerness, to find better quality, I tried Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and found when I exported to Blu-ray, the quality was far superior to the Apple apps, but the Adobe was unstable and sluggish.

Moving on two years, and having abandoned committing anything to Disc (which is what I prefer to do) I have come back to Final Cut Pro (same version) to see if I can tinker with the settings and get a decent output. Again, I am disappointed with the results, so decided to try the newer iMovie (10.1.4) but still the same quality output - mediocre! A friend then talked me into getting the new version of Premiere Elements 15 (having listened to me criticising the usability of the old one) and surprise...the quality is stunning compared to both Apple apps.

SO, what am I moaning about? Well, FCP is SO much more user friendly, it imports quicker, working on the timeline is faster, it's easier for iTunes and better for sound editing. So why can't I get the same kind of picture results from Apple as I can from Adobe? I've tried exporting in all the different ways - sometimes ending with MASSIVE files - but to no avail! Does anyone else have these issues. Endless searching on-line produces nothing, and I am at a loss!

Can anyone help or suggest something?

Thanks

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
work - mac pro (late 2013), 32gb RAM 3.2 Ghz 6core; home - mac book pro
hi there, don't know if you've solved your problem, i'm fairly new here, but do alot of video at work and use fcp x all the time.

have you updated fcp now? i think we're on 10.3.4 now, and it is so much better than early x versions.

i always do a master file output from fcp x and then convert it in compressor. very rarely have i had any quality issues

cheers for now

Phil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.