AirPort Extreme has been hacked.

Reaction score
The other day when my MacBook Air powered up I received a popup regarding my AirPort Extreme. I didn't read it carefully and now my airport has been hacked. When I highlight the disk to get info it shows an unknown name in the sharing and permissions. I have tried to add a new user, but a message pops up saying "The name you entered isn't valid. Please try again. I can't even change the privilege section. I have tried to reset it the device to factory default, but I still don't see my name show up in the sharing & permissions. How do I correct this, since they gained access to all information I had on the capsule. I have change all my passwords to all my accounts so I have that taken care of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Did you actually click on anything in the pop-up at bthe time can you recall? I would suggest setting up your network again using different passwords to access the network. Also download Malwarebytes for Mac and run a Scan, and also use Ghosteryto block this rubbish.

OP
J
Reaction score
hacked airport/sharing and permission access

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Did you actually click on anything in the pop-up at bthe time can you recall? I would suggest setting up your network again using different passwords to access the network. Also download Malwarebytes for Mac and run a Scan, and also use Ghosteryto block this rubbish.

Thanks, I will do this immediately. I did click on it, but I don't remember exactly what I clicked. I tried to to a reset to factory settings, but that did not work either. Still shows an unknown user in the sharing and permissions get info and doesn't allow me to make any changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is bad news as you may well expect a 'demand' notice to un-encypt what they have done to you hard drive. What Mac and operating system are you using, as Apple has updated X Protect for this very threat? I trust not Snow Leopard nor Lion which are no longer supported by Apple Security Updates because of their age. Have a read of this link on this very threat. Also note Transmission can be hacked to do this also so if you are a bit torrent user check for the Transmission update.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/03/07/a...e-first-fully-functional-mac-os-x-ransomware/

OP
J
Reaction score
I am running Sierra 10.12.3 which is the latest update. I don't do anything with bit torrent. I recently looked into work at home jobs and then started getting emails from myself, then the message popped up about my airport time capsule. So basically the time machine is of little use to me now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if anyone asks me TM is of little use at any time. I prefer to clone to my two external hard drives and then each are bootable in case of problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.