factory reset for iBook G4

Reaction score
I have 2 newer Macs, but i would like to use my old iBook G4 for email and news only. does anyone out there know how i can reset to factory and wipe hard drive as it does not have the space available to even download a different browser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Suggest not taking ant G4 online as any operating system it can use has had no security updates for years now. You will need system install DVDs but cannot suggest what version as you have not supplied details on the iBook.

There are fourteen different model iBooks and they run operating systems between Tiger OS X.4 and Leopard OS X.5. If you have to buy DVDs look at eBay and such BUT make sure you buy PowerPC versions as Intel will not install.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would use that old iBook G4 as a Frisbee! Or a surfboard for a Guinea Pig!;)

- Nick

p.s. Just kidding.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
does anyone out there know how i can reset to factory and wipe hard drive as it does not have the space available to even download a different browser
Suggest not taking ant G4 online as any operating system it can use has had no security updates for years now
Could try MorphOS, it's a modern "successor" to AmegaOS; or try a PowerPC build of Lubuntu or Xubuntu or some similarly lightweight Linux distro... Obviously, they don't have a great wealth of apps available; but they have the basics needed for email & light browsing, and they're far more current - ergo, more secure - than OS X 10.3.9/10.4.11/10.5.8...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.