PDA

View Full Version : factory reset for iBook G4

SoCalAL
02-25-2017, 02:31 PM
I have 2 newer Macs, but i would like to use my old iBook G4 for email and news only. does anyone out there know how i can reset to factory and wipe hard drive as it does not have the space available to even download a different browser

harryb2448
02-25-2017, 03:24 PM
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Suggest not taking ant G4 online as any operating system it can use has had no security updates for years now. You will need system install DVDs but cannot suggest what version as you have not supplied details on the iBook.

There are fourteen different model iBooks and they run operating systems between Tiger OS X.4 and Leopard OS X.5. If you have to buy DVDs look at eBay and such BUT make sure you buy PowerPC versions as Intel will not install.

pigoo3
02-27-2017, 05:58 PM
I would use that old iBook G4 as a Frisbee! Or a surfboard for a Guinea Pig!;)

- Nick

p.s. Just kidding.:)

Ctrl-Opt-Del
03-09-2017, 08:27 PM
does anyone out there know how i can reset to factory and wipe hard drive as it does not have the space available to even download a different browser
Suggest not taking ant G4 online as any operating system it can use has had no security updates for years nowCould try MorphOS, it's a modern "successor" to AmegaOS; or try a PowerPC build of Lubuntu or Xubuntu or some similarly lightweight Linux distro... Obviously, they don't have a great wealth of apps available; but they have the basics needed for email & light browsing, and they're far more current - ergo, more secure - than OS X 10.3.9/10.4.11/10.5.8...