23" Cinema Display purple hue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
Just locally picked up a mint Powermac G5 2GHz Dual with keyboard/mouse and 23" Cinema display for $60. I mainly bought it for the case since im going to be gutting it and putting a PC in there. Or I could use it to move all of the components from my G5 quad as that case got damaged when it was shipped to me 7 years ago (should have filed a claim back then). Anyway so I am using the display for a PC I just built and it works and the 1920x1200 is great even for today. There is just a pink hue around the sides that gets less noticeable in the center of the display. Around the edges you can see lighter color. Its sort of annoying but I guess I can't really complain that I got all of this for $60. So would I need a new LCD to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A mint G5 that is over 12 years old? I think a new display.

It was riginally released in 2004 and I think that pink tint could just be ageing.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
A mint G5 that is over 12 years old? I think a new display.

It was riginally released in 2004 and I think that pink tint could just be ageing.

Yeah it looks brand new. They kept it in great shape. Found it on craigslist was this girl's mom's. Even has tiger on it which I can't seem to find for PPC on eBay specifically. Only Intel. Pretty excited about it. It can't really do any web browsing even with tenfourfox but it's ok. For the combo deal and the potential to use the case for another project made it worth it. My G5 quad can actually watch youtube videos albeit at 360p in tenfourfox but nonetheless playable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The problem is there is no dual system install discs, you will need the PowerPC version only. Do NOT buy silver grey discs, they are the original discs that came with a new machine and designed to work with that model exclusively. Here is a list of part numbers for both PowerPC and Intel versions. They abound on eBay but check the part number carefully. Double Click on the link and it will open a window sharing all PowerPC versions.

Briefly, any version OS X.4 to OS X.4.4 will do, and OS X.4.5 needs part 58H14; OS X.4.6 part 8G1454; OS X.4.7 part BJ135.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-O...a3946e8&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=292034090332

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.