File sharing help

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok I purchased a referee/used MacBook Pro. Loving it. It came with a user "new" already on it. I immediately started copying files from my old laptop to it. I them found the migrate app and I performed a migrate from my old laptop.

This created a new user and now I can see the files from my copy to the "new" user but they are grayed out and I can't access them...How do I mark them so they can be shared between both users?

I will probably never use the "new" user but I'm leaving it out there as an alternate admin.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are all your files still on your old laptop or did you delete some of them as you moved them?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Shnake:

Follow the links that Ian posted. Your problem is a common one that can occur when using the migration assistant after an account is created on the new machine.

Reaction score
Welcome Shnake

This is a real bind when you use Migration Assistant (MA) after you've set up your own account, thereby creating two.

Here are two articles, the first giving general information on what to do; the second giving very specific details of how to merge the accounts:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3691381?tstart=0
http://pondini.org/OSX/Transfer.html

Hope this helps.

Ian

Thanks for sharing those articles. I got useful information from those two articles.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Tomsonn

Good. Thank you saying so.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.