decreased wifi range!

Reaction score
I am running an airport time capsule. I moved houses this week, same provider, but when I set everything up my WIFI range is VERY LOW, like less than 50'. I have moved the time capsule to another location and get the same results. I deleted and set up again last night and it seemed like I have better range, but this AM I am back to less than 50'. I used wireless diagnostics and can see the range drop as I take steps away from the router. So, I do live in Honduras, so the house is totally concrete, but the last house was concrete, the router was on the 2nd floor and I was getting good WIFI at the other end of the house on the first floor. Any info would be great, I'm not a MAC genius but I can follow some simple directions if you have some!

Thanks!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

There's very likely something about your new home that's absorbing the signal. (Concrete is a pretty good absorber of WiFi to begin with.) Make sure you're using the 2.4 Ghz and not the 5 Ghz band if your TC is a dual band model. Actually a straight line distance of around 15 to 50 feet is where the average user has their router placed. How far away is your Mac from the TC and can you setup any closer? If you live in a very large home then you may need to use a range extender for your TC.

If necessary, you can purchase several or one Airport Express and extend the range of the TC. But that can get complicated if you've never setup a network that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.