Office 2016 for Windows via WineBottler

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I'm new to Mac. I installed Office for Mac, and differently from Windows, Power Point for Mac does not have the function of trimming videos directly in the slide. This is the function I use the most for my job as a language teacher (I make video courses, trim each sentence, make students listen, repeat, etc.). If I use a different program just to trim each sentence and video scene, it will take me forever to make lessons!
I would NOT like to dual boot my Macbook with Windows or have a Virtual Machine just to have Power Point before trying to make it work on Wine (I've already tried numerous times, but it doesn't work).
Has anyone ever done that?
Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

There is no guarantee that WINE programs or their derivatives will be able to run Office 2016. I do know that "CrossOver Mac" (not free) is able to run the Windows version of Office 2010 and Office 2013, however, the Windows version of Office 2016 is not included in their list. You might give their support a call or email them and ask.

The folks at Codeweavers are generally very responsive to support inquiries and they do have a trial version available. I would give that a go first. But if it should turn out not to be possible, your best bet then is to run Office 2016 for Windows in a virtual machine. VirtualBox from Oracle is free and will run Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 nicely.

By the way, running Windows from a VM is NOT dual booting your Mac and is very easy to do. There are no reboots required and the VM can be suspended while you run other Mac programs. You will of course need a legal copy of Windows to install in order to run the Windows version of Office 2016. And if you subscribe to Office 365 you can download the Windows version of Office 2016 without having to pay an additional fee.

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I guess you're right. It's going to be very difficult to run Office 2016 in Wine. I will consider the option of Virtual Box, or just learn how to do things differently with other tools. :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.