Preview stalls consistently.

Reaction score
All of a sudden when I click on a photo, it takes a long time for Preview to open it, and then when I try to close Preview it takes at least 30 seconds for it to close down. The photos I've tried to look at are not that large. I'm confused why this has just started happening.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, photo gal.

I realise that the last thing you want when asking for help is a list of questions.

But from our perspective, we have no idea what Mac you have (year & model); what macOS your machine is running and it would also help to know the amount of Memory (RAM) and how much free (unused) space there is on your Hard Disk Drive.

Whilst you are preparing answers to these, may I assume you've tried rebooting your Mac? And is the problem strictly limited to Preview? And does it occur only when viewing photos? Or when using Preview to open any file?

Sorry for these endless questions, but we need much more info.

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, photo gal.

I realise that the last thing you want when asking for help is a list of questions.

But from our perspective, we have no idea what Mac you have (year & model); what macOS your machine is running and it would also help to know the amount of Memory (RAM) and how much free (unused) space there is on your Hard Disk Drive.

Whilst you are preparing answers to these, may I assume you've tried rebooting your Mac? And is the problem strictly limited to Preview? And does it occur only when viewing photos? Or when using Preview to open any file?

Sorry for these endless questions, but we need much more info.

Ian

Well! If all else fails, reboot! Why didn't I think of that. THANKS FOR reminding me that that is an option, always.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Do you mean problem solved? That would be great news.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.