How to find files?

Reaction score
Hi All - I've been on a Mac now for about 3 months. It's been pretty smooth going. But I still have trouble finding files.

For example, I have a photo of myself that I use on some message boards. It is simply named bw me.jpg, with an embedded space between the bw and the me. I would assume that I could open finder, click on my home folder, and enter bw me into the search bar, and ... well... no... it never finds it. So then I have to remember that it's in photos, or maybe it's still in downloads, or maybe I left it in documents... and a few minutes later I find it. So yes, obviously I should always remember to put the photo of myself in photos and to *browse* through all the files starting there. It seems like certain files... I just have to remember which folder they're in a browse for them, like this one.

So... is there something broken with search or am I using it wrong? Does it have something to do with embedded spaces in the file name? bw me.jpg is just the tip of the iceberg. I waste so much time looking for things on the mac... help?

M

MacInWin

It's not good practice to embed spaces in file names because of what you just encountered. You can probably find your file by entering it with quotes to tell the system to treat the entire thing as one name: "bw me.jpg."

Also, you are still thinking in Windows terms, i.e., "where is the file?" instead of letting the applications store them and retrieve them for you from the filesystem. If you have a photo you use on some message boards, and if you want it in the Home folder, you need to put it there. I use the list view in Finder and sort on the filename, so I would find your file in the "b" section of my files pretty quickly. If you put it in Photos, then look in Photos for it. Or were you referencing some folder named "photos" that you are maintaining? If so, then use list view and sort by name and it will be in the b section there.

Search is sort of a dull tool sometimes. You may find a third party tool like Find Any File or EasyFind will be more useful in finding things if you don't keep them where they "naturally" fall from the application that created them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Your drive may need to be re-indexed but probably unlikely as Stoplight (my name for it, aka: Spotlight) has often been obstinate in finding one's stuff.

My suggestion, download Find Any File and EasyFind and keep them handy in your Dock:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30079/find-any-file which has the older version if you need it
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/
and
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11076/easyfind
http://www.devontechnologies.com/download/products.html

For faster file finds I find FAF faster, but both work well and each have their advantages.

EDIT:
Ahhh… and Jake also agrees which is a good thing to reinforce my suggestion. :D

- Patrick
==========

OP
D
Reaction score
Perhaps half of the files I work with have embedded spaces in their name. And I am certainly guilty of "Windows Thinking". That said, I may have found a good answer, which is to enter just those characters up to the first space. So if I search on just bw I will find the file. And if I do a ctrl-f it shows other search options that allow me to narrow the search to, for example, an image file.

M

MacInWin

Also, be a bit cautious about using the macupdate site that Patrick referred to. They have been guilty recently of bundling "crapware" with their downloads. I no longer use them because of that action. Sad, because they used to be a pretty good site for software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, be a bit cautious about using the macupdate site that Patrick referred to.

I included it so the OP could read the comments and they also give access to the older versions and the developers site is also there and included under the URLs I posted.

PS: I understood the macupdate.com had smartened up stopped all "extra inclusions" but still good to be aware and cautious. And No I can't find the link with some related info at the moment.

- Patrick
==========

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I use the list view in Finder and sort on the filename

That's very useful - didn't realise you could choose...after six years of Mac use:\

M

MacInWin

Sue, Apple has even let folders float to the top of that sort, finally! That was the ONE Windows feature that I missed when I moved to Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's very useful - didn't realise you could choose...after six years of Mac use:\

Hmmm… and wow!!

You might just want to do some Mac OS exploring and trying out various stuff and also check through the Help topics on your Mac if you have some time. Actually it can be quite interesting and you'll probably learn more things that can help you with your Macing experience.

- Patrick
==========

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
When I'm stuck I do and that's one of the reasons I trawl this forum - learnt lots.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
+1 on Find Any File (FAF). Best $6 app on my computer. The guy lets you try before you buy.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 on Find Any File (FAF). Best $6 app on my computer. The guy lets you try before you buy.

It used to be free but Patrick recommended it so many times that the developer figured he might as well start charging for it. I think Patrick gets a cut... :$ ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It used to be free but Patrick recommended it so many times that the developer figured he might as well start charging for it. I think Patrick gets a cut... :$ ;P

LOL chscag, but to be honest, FAF has always been and actually still is "shareware" once it was officially launched, but for full disclosure I did volunteer with some BATA testing many years ago and I did received a free version for my help and suggestions, but no, I don't get any cut and also why I suggest downloading from his site rather the App Store so he gets full benefit of any payment.

To be honest, I have sent him donations over the years and more than the donation payment asked for just as I've done with some other excellent apps I have used for years like CCC and other good apps that just work well.

Besides that, I've always just found it to be one of my most used tools for troubleshooting and finding stuff on our Macs.

EDIT:
BTW, for those interested:
"Version History of Find Any File
1.0, 26 Dec 08:
First release
1.0.1, 27 Dec 08:
Fixed date entry crash on PPC
1.0.2, 29 Dec 08:
Move to Trash works now; volume selection is observed with root search and saved searches; results update after moving items. …"

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/versionhistory.php

Anyone remember the PPC Macs…???
That's also when I was helping with the FAF beta testing… yup, quite a few years ago… ;)

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.