Adding time capsule to an existing wireless network asus Rt-ac66u extender

Reaction score
Hello all,

I desperately need some help,

I have a an existing wireless network with an asus ac66u router. (I need this router as it has a VPN installed on it) I bought a apple "time capsule" and I would like to wirelessly connect it to the existing network and use it as an extender and also use it as the Time Machine backup for all of my many apple devices 3 phones, MacBook pro, Mac air, 2 iPods, and 2 iPads. If not too much to ask, it Would also be awesome to be able to access this drive remotely via the internet.

Unfortunately I have turned into my father trying to program the Betamax for the first time. and my kids cant stop playing video games long enough to help.

Anyone can help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Short answer - No. There are an extremely few non-AirPort routers that are WDS-compatible with the AirPorts. Most likely, your Asus is not one of them. I tried to extend a network using a Time Capsule (ethernet connected) and an Airport Express (wirelessly connected to the TC). It would work (sorta) but the speed on the Express was very slow (which was expected) and I had a devil of a time keeping it connected. The Airport Express was set up to extend an existing network.

BTW: Bridge mode will not do what you want. For bridge mode to work the TC has to be connected to the network using an ethernet cable.

Lisa

Reaction score
Sorry dude, Your asus router is non WDS-compatible with the AirPorts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@husseymark, welcome to the forum. The thread you jumped into was from February, 2017, which you can see in the header of each post. I think the original poster probably got the message from last year and has moved on.

But don't go away, stay and visit the threads that are more current! We have lots of folks here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.