WD My Book External Hard Drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a WD My Book 4 TB External Hard Drive for my iMac.

Is this considered a reliable hard drive? Should I purchase a 3 year warranty on it?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This drive should come with a manufacturer's warranty of some sort. I think most folks rely on this for most of their warranty needs. Your biggest concern is keeping your data backed up on a second drive. Usually that data is much valuable to folks than the drive itself. Thus if the drive should fail...the cost of replacing the drive is small...compared to the loss of the data if it wasn't backed up.

Also hope you didn't overpay for this drive. Sometimes the "My Book" drives can be WAY overpriced.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have had good luck with my 640gb WD My Book from ~2006. I don't use it for backups anymore, but I still use for low use files.

Is the drive a "for Mac" drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
… I just purchased a WD My Book 4 TB External Hard Drive for my iMac.
Is this considered a reliable hard drive? Should I purchase a 3 year warranty on it?
Thanks

According to your address, that WD My Book drive already comes with a three year warranty.
http://support.wdc.com/warranty/warrantypolicy.aspx#group1

You might want to register it and update the purchase date if required at the WD USA site.

Edit:
BTW: My two MY BOOK PREMIUM EDITION 500GB USB 2.0 FireWire® 400 drives purchased 2008 and 2009 era are still working with occasional use, and I always kept them slightly elevated to provide good air flow for adequate cooling.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to register it and update the purchase date if required at the WD USA site.

No need to register WD drives. If there's a problem, WD will ask for the serial number of the drive and compute the warranty from that. It doesn't matter when you purchased it from the store, WD has their own way of computing the warranty. Just ask them.

And if the drive gives out during the warranty, they will send you a RMA and from that it will be your responsibility to send the drive to their California depot. After which they will send you a refurbished replacement that if you're lucky will last several weeks before it too will give out. :(

Now ask me what I think of WD drives..... ;D

BTW: My two MY BOOK PREMIUM EDITION 500GB USB 2.0 FireWire® 400 drives purchased 2008 and 2009 era are still working with occasional use, and I always kept them slightly elevated to provide good air flow for adequate cooling.

That was the old Western Digital company who made reliable drives. Unfortunately, that is no longer true in my opinion.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This drive should come with a manufacturer's warranty of some sort. I think most folks rely on this for most of their warranty needs. Your biggest concern is keeping your data backed up on a second drive. Usually that data is much valuable to folks than the drive itself. Thus if the drive should fail...the cost of replacing the drive is small...compared to the loss of the data if it wasn't backed up.

Also hope you didn't overpay for this drive. Sometimes the "My Book" drives can be WAY overpriced.

- Nick

The drive cost $95.00. Are you saying I should have two external drives running?

Thanks

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have had good luck with my 640gb WD My Book from ~2006. I don't use it for backups anymore, but I still use for low use files.

Is the drive a "for Mac" drive?

Yes the external hard drive for a Mac and PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag said:
No need to register WD drives. If there's a problem, WD will ask for the serial number of the drive and compute the warranty from that. It doesn't matter when you purchased it from the store, WD has their own way of computing the warranty.

I have always found it's easier and better to do the register just after purchasing and they give you an option to enter the actual purchase date so one gets the full warranty, rather than their "calculation" and later sending in a scan of the purchase receipt if a warranty or later proof of purchase is ever needed.

It also provides a nice quick reference of one's WD purchases. I just wish there was more room for more details, i.e.: where used etc.

Just saying…. ;)

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
chscag said:

I have always found it's easier and better to do the register just after purchasing and they give you an option to enter the actual purchase date so one gets the full warranty, rather than their "calculation" and later sending in a scan of the purchase receipt if a warranty or later proof of purchase is ever needed.

It also provides a nice quick reference of one's WD purchases. I just wish there was more room for more details, i.e.: where used etc.

Just saying…. ;)- Patrick=======

When was the last time you purchased a WD drive? They no longer include a registration card in the box. I guess if you want... you can always go to their website and register the drive by serial number. Of course when the drive gives out it doesn't matter because they will use the date they have on record (however they compute that?). Also, if you can get someone on the line from the US or Canada, you would be fortunate since their support is forwarded to India or wherever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Also, if you can get someone on the line from the US or Canada, you would be fortunate since their support is forwarded to India or wherever.

I'm glad you have the same problem there too. Over the last couple of years I've ended all my contracts with every company that has shipped it's 'customer support' to third world countries and moved to companies with UK support - car & house insurance, phone, mobile phone, broadband, gas & electricity - and now get far better support. Now if only I can get scam phone calls and emails moved over too :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When was the last time you purchased a WD drive? They no longer include a registration card in the box. I guess if you want... you can always go to their website and register the drive by serial number. Of course when the drive gives out it doesn't matter because they will use the date they have on record (however they compute that?). … …

Per the bold above — that's what I do and have always done, and it seems they added an extension to my last entered purchase date for some reason, but I'm not complaining…

But it does seem that I have had the opposite experiences to you with all the WD drives I have purchased over the years but I've always tended to purchase their higher end Black models with their longer warranty.

WD warranty Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 5.43.15 PM.png

- Patrick
==========

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. The WD Black drives that I purchased in the past for some of my older PCs and one 2008 MacBook were good drives. But those are internal bare drives. I'm primarily referring to the WD My Book portable drives. Those are the ones that are troublesome.

But hey... like anything else, what might be OK for you may not necessarily be the same for me. As I have already stated, I will not buy another WD drive. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.