• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

OK, I give in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
This is a forum based in the land of our trans Atlantic cousins. So far just over 2 weeks ago the USA had a new president and as far as I can see not a single word has been mentioned about it? Did I miss something or is any kind of politics banned on here?

A serious question? Is it a taboo subject? And if so then why? I would love to know. I am not trying to be anything but qurious.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well...we are mostly an Apple subject related internet forum...so these topics will dominate. Most topics are permissable. Yes...we have not had much discussion regarding the newly elected US president. But then we also have not had much discussion regarding:

- The upcoming Superbowl.
- The future career of Rhonda Rousey...former female MMA champion.
- The latest drama with the couple from the home renovation show "Flip or Flop".
- John Glenn (former astronaut) passing away.
- etc. etc.

As mentioned. We are primarily an Apple discussion forum. Thus many current event topics sometimes do not get discussed. I would imagine when Barrack Obama was elected...we didn't have that much discussion on it ether.

If REALLY interested in this topic...why not start a discussion about it...rather than asking why there hasn't been a discussion about it??;)

- Nick

p.s. And of course remember. Topics like religion, politics, Mac vs. PC, etc...can be very sensitive topic area's. And maybe folks avoid them for that reason.;)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
John,

Maybe members feel that it's nice to have one place in the world where it has not been discussed to death:Mischievous:

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How about backing off a little guys? It is the citizens of the USA's country, not ours, and they will support their country and President as loyal Americans. I could comment on therese whatshername all decked out in red for Donald but that is not my place to.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Agree, Harry. Hence my little comment in post #3.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
If it's any consolation I'm ashamed of what's happens this side of the pond too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'll throw in my 2 cents.;) Sawday mentioned how I kind of feel. "Can't yet believe it has happened". I could comment further...but I'm so disgusted with the situation that I try to avoid the topic!!!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you want a mac forum with a heated political posting area head over to MacRumors. You will find you can not post on the political threads until you have made at least 100 posts on the apple threads.

I tend to stay away from political postings. I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion. And I also believe everyone needs to show respect to all posters regardless of their view point. Unfortunately not everyone does and feels the need to slice and dice those who do not agree with them. It seems the very ones preaching free speech and tolerance are the same ones spewing the vitriol when you do not agree with them. So - I never post on anything on a political site.

Lisa

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
As I said, it was just curiosity about the fact that there has been so much said elsewhere and as far as I could see, not a single word on here.

I am in agreement about steering clear of polilics and I have always been in the camp that feels that even if I don't agree with yours I would fight for your, and my, right to voice them. Same with religion, Don't try to convert me and I won't convert you ;D;D

Just in passing, there were a huge load of folk this side of the pond that had a shock about Brexit :* but it's going to happen. That will last for more than 4 years though, so I hope it works?

Edit : - I forgot to say thank you for the replies. Informative and refreshing :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Glad it's a Trump free zone as I must admit to excoriating him on both facebook and twitter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Just in passing, there were a huge load of folk this side of the pond that had a shock about Brexit :* but it's going to happen.

Still time for a snap election though, fingers crossed. Did you see that 'woman' (I use the term although I'm sure most women would not associate themselves with her) on Question Time the other night? Voted to Leave because she didn't want straight bananas! arghhh !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well...we are mostly an Apple subject related internet forum...so these topics will dominate. ...

In other words, on this forum, Apple trumps politics. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Nancy:

The lounge is for off topic discussions and as long as the discussion remains civil (no name calling, etc.), it's allowed. I agree that sometimes talk about religion, politics, and other controversial subjects can lead to heated debates, and that's why we have moderators.

Thank you for understanding.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Poly-ticks? Are they blood sucking insects on parots:'(:'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@John:

Politicians and lawyers. Same, same. :Evil:

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thinking about lawyers, we call then solicitors this side of the pond, much more posh and they charge for that too! A mate of mine in the U.K. was a 'lawyer' and he was also a lay preacher in his local church. I always pulled his leg with the fact that 'he solicited for a living and layed for a hobby' :Smirk:

He was from Manchester too, poor bloke :D Great bloke, good friend and just as well he had a good sense of humour with me around ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thinking about lawyers, we call then solicitors this side of the pond, much more posh and they charge for that too! A mate of mine in the U.K. was a 'lawyer' and he was also a lay preacher in his local church.

Sounds like he may be trying to play "both sides of the fence".;) If he did anything unsavory as a lawyer...maybe he still gets into heaven for the preaching activities!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As I have told Randy B. here in Australia we bury lawyers, and solicitors, at a depth of nine feet.

Why? Because deep, deep down they are good people!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.