Trying to use terminal to uninstall driver.....

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not being very computer savvy using command instructions fills me with a sense of dread so hence why I'm asking fro help.
I have installed a driver on my macbook pro that is now found to be incompatible with OS sierra. The driver is for a particular arduino board. Whilst it is ever on my mac and I try to plug in the arduino (WeMos D1 mini) my mac crashes.
Having researched this issue I need to uninstall the driver using the terminal facility.
The instruction is to type cd/Librarys/Extensions in terminal to bring up the offending drivers name.

Here is the instruction:
Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 10.56.26.png

When I type this in the terminal all I get is this:

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 10.55.08.png

I am very obviously doing something wrong, could anyone help identify what it is?

many thanks in advance

Dave

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the help Jake.... Ive now corrected this, what do I need to do now as it still looks different to the one shown as an example
Here's a screenshot of where im at

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 23.35.53.png

Any help will be much appreciated

M

MacInWin

Well, just run the rest of the set of commands. You ran one, now enter the other.

But really, you are playing with matches in a room full of dynamite if you don't know terminal commands and what you are trying to do. Be very, very careful. I presume you have a backup? IF not, STOP, and do one NOW, before you enter a single thing in terminal.

M

MacInWin

Is there some reason you aren't using Finder, a much safer tool, to delete this file? You should be able to get to that same folder with Finder.

Open Finder, click on "Go" on the top bar of the screen, then enter /Library/Extensions and you will be taken there immediately, where you can see what's there and look for the file you need to delete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
D
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

thanks again for your input.
Your right about the backup, i'm gonna do that before i try anything else, great advice.
Here's a link that shows a walkthrough of what i'm trying to achieve
It shows the three stages
1) Locating the driver
2)unloading the driver
3)removing the driver

https://www.mac-usb-serial.com/wordpress/support/de-installation/

i'm guessing it has to be done this way.
So I entered the next line of the command but I didnt get anything like the example, it certainlt hasn't identified the driver i'm lookng for unless of course i've done something wrong, very
possible as I have said this is alien too me, here's the screenshot:
Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 07.26.07.png

Thanks again for your help

Dave

Reaction score
Since you're already in /Library/Extensions just do:
ls -l (that's a lower case L)
look in the listing and see if it's there. You don't need to do the grep part. If it is do the kextunload command but don't put the ./ in front of the name, you're already in the directory.
Assuming no error messages, do the sudo command. MAKE SURE YOU TYPE THE NAME CORRECTLY!!! Be a shame to have to reinstall the whole system.
And yes, it would be easier with Finder. Open Finder and find the file. Open Terminal, put window below the Finder window. Then type in the kextunload command, except for the name...drag the file from Finder to Terminal.
It will add the correct name to the command. Same for the sudo command. This way you will have the correct path and name for the commands.

M

MacInWin

If the kext is not in that location, you'll have to find where it is. You can use either Find Any File or EasyFind to search the drive for it. Spotlight might work, too, but Spotlight isn't always able to show all files, IMHO. But again, you are working with a very powerful and unforgiving tool. cradom's warning ends to be said again. MAKE SURE YOU TYPE [EVERYTHNG] CORRECTLY!! There is no undo for Terminal.

OP
D
Reaction score
Guys thanks very much for the help and advice.
It's very obvious I'm out of my depth and in very dangerous waters. Its probably best to leave this well alone before I do something catastrophic!!!

Thanks again

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.