syncing iWork's

Reaction score
Hi all,

just got my first MacBook (Air). I've synced my iPad pro, also new, and thought I should be able to see iWork's apps on my book now, but not so, and when I search for the apps, the store is trying to charge me £20 each. I should add i bought it off someone who has only had it 3 months, but that shouldn't matter as it's my iCloud details etc. on it now.

Any ideas from more experienced users please?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Since you purchased the MBA used, you will need to pay for the apps. The apps are included free for the original purchaser of the MBA. Your files are in your iCloud account ad if you want, you can log in to iCloud online and use the online iWork apps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Since the iPad Pro is new, the iOS iWork apps and Photos are included free with it. However, as member "ferrarr" pointed out, only a new purchase of the MBA gives you the free versions of the iWork apps. What you can try is first make sure the MBA is now associated with your Apple ID and not the previous owner. Once your Apple ID is associated with the MBA, try again by going to the Mac App Store and see if the iWork apps are available to you. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes Patrick, that trick still works but we kind of do not like to mention it - only as a last resort. I believe if he assigns his Apple ID, that it will accomplish the same thing.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi all,

thanks for the help. This must be painful to you that are more than familiar with Mac, so I'll apologise in advance. The weblink worked, the download wouldn't install as my MBA told me the source is unverified, and listed something about this/download site. Thanks so far and if you have any ideas I'd be grateful.

Secondly, when got the MBA, a friend asked me if it started up as brand new i.e. said Hello, Ola etc. It didn't but I have logged into iTunes and iCloud with my details. Should I have done more to ensure factory reset? The MBA is only 3 months old, so I don't understand why it wouldn't have the iWork's suite on but have seen the comments above.

I also have them on iPad but can't seem to sync them across. I thought once you had an app, you could simply transfer them?

Any ideas welcome

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, the iOS iWork apps on your iPad are not the same as those for the Mac. They (the apps) can not be synced, however, once the OS X versions are installed on your Mac, the files they create can be synced across. Confused yet?

You need to ascertain that the MBA is properly registered to you under your Apple ID. After that is done, I believe you will be able to download the iWork apps for free from the Mac App Store. If the MBA is still registered to the previous owner's Apple ID, you're going to have problems updating it later on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Since the MBA did not start up as brand new, I would restore to factory using the Recovery partition, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314. If you chose to do this, make sure you have a backup of all your files and media.

If the original owner of the MBA accepted the EULA for the iWork apps, then legally, those apps are the original owners. If they did not, then after you reset the MBA and put your information in, you will be allowed to accept the EULA for the iWork apps.

As far as the iWork file you downloaded, you need to right click on the file and select "ok" for it to install. macOS uses Gatekeeper for security, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.