Numbers question

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me how to fix a formula to a cell, e.g. I want to display the contents of a5 in a3. This I can do using the = so a3=a5. But I they want to add a row which forces the row down so a5 becomes a6.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance !

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
In Excel you put a $ sign before the column or row value (or both) ie a$5. Not sure if this works for numbers too.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me how to fix a formula to a cell, e.g. I want to display the contents of a5 in a3. This I can do using the = so a3=a5. But I they want to add a row which forces the row down so a5 becomes a6.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance !

Paul

Hi Sawday. Thanks for the suggestion ! Really appreciated ! I did try that but will go back and try once more just in case.

Best

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Try highlighting the a3 cell then type SUM=(a5).

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Gandalf will give that a try. I can see how that could work! Best paul

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Gandalf. Unfortunately that does not work either. It does work if you have a number cell, but as I need a txt cell it won't let me apply a sum function. Good idea tho, worked with numbers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.