Connects to wifi with white/Grey screen

Reaction score
Hey Guys

1st post here, have patience with me as I'm Pc guy rather..

Trying to find a solutions am facing currently.

This Mac book is fairly new given to me by a friend who dont have time to repair and stuff.

It was running fine for few months then suddenly one morning white/grey screen with question mark pops up while he was using, calls me and says take this mac, if you can have it repair, MAC is yours. Thought he was joking but he really gave me this Book.

Same problem till date..I cant do anything with this Book. Watched several videos over youtube to find out any possible solution but I cant find 1.

Found a video where it says press Command and power at once, which I did: Took me to my network connection. Now am connect to my home wifi with white/Grey screen.

Nothing happens...waited hours nothing at all.

I tried all possible options to go to recovery still I cant.

Also not to mention I cant turn on the Book with out hooking in a charger.

Pls help,Much appreciated.

Jo.

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

It's going to be hard to help you until we get a bit more information. Any idea which Mac it is? Any serial number, part numbers, anything? Any idea of the OS it had before you got it? The combination of not turning on except on Mains and the grey screen are pointing to a logic board failure, as a first guess, but it could be almost anything.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks I have no idea what was OS it had/has. Macbook pro air a1237 is the model I believe.

M

MacInWin

OK, the a1237 is a MacBook Air1,1, from early 2008. That's pretty old, so almost anything could be wrong with it. It shipped with OS X version 10.5, is upgradable to 10.7.5. For a reference, the most current version of the OS is 10.12.3, so that's still five versions back. The RAM is not user upgradable and the processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo. MacTracker lists it at $200US right now.

None of that helps get you booted, but it does give you some idea of how much you might want to spend to get it going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
MacTracker lists it at $200US right now.

And I'd say that's being generous AND that's also assuming it's in working order.

Did "friend" also supply a USB boot/install flash drive or any additional equipment like an external optical drive and/or install disks with the MBAir???

- Patrick
==========

OP
J
Reaction score
None, only book and charger.. was thinking to give this to a student who will be going college this march, But guess I have to trash this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.