advisable to keep my iMac on or to switch off?

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a new iMac last week and have been wondering whether is it better to off/sleep the machine.

Morries

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Most of here just let our Macs sleep when not actively being used. You are free to put a screensaver on it if you wish. This allows you to start using your Mac a lot faster since you don't have to wait for the entire boot up process. My iMac has been running for about
60 days now and I'm approaching 30 days on my Macbook Pro..

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Most of here just let our Macs sleep when not actively being used. You are free to put a screensaver on it if you wish. This allows you to start using your Mac a lot faster since you don't have to wait for the entire boot up process. My iMac has been running for about
60 days now and I'm approaching 30 days on my Macbook Pro..

alright... thanks Ashwin for the advise...

Regards,

M

MacInWin

I have an older iMac, 2008 vintage, I think, running my home automation. It's been on for 6 years. Reboot it every once in a while when software requires it, and that's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm one who shuts down almost daily. I had my last Mini for 9 years. 'nuff said

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi,

Just bought a new iMac last week and have been wondering whether is it better to off/sleep the machine.

Hi Morries - well, you'll be getting a lot of different opinions, but I agree w/ Ashwin that many of us here let our Macs 'sleep' rather that shutting them down each night - here's a four year-old article by OSXDaily that is still pertinent as to explaining the options, although power management has improved in recent years w/ Apple's introduction of the Power Nap - check the links; also, pic below of my MBAir's System Preferences showing the latter activated.

For myself, I let our iMac (early 2013; 'Power Nap' on) sleep - only 'shut down' when we leave the house for more that a couple of days; for my two Mac laptops, I leave each attached to power - only shutdown/reboot when asked due to an upgrade/update/installation; so, my two cents! :) Dave
Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 1.23.39 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
My iMac gets turned off when I go on holiday for more than a few days and rebooted when required for an install. Other than that it sits in readiness for use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Living in a sub tropical area near mountain ranges makes this area a high thunderstorm locality. Like Dave I run a UPS, uninterrupted power supply which charges a battery. The unit, an Eaton in my case, will continue to power the iMac in case of a surge, blackout or brownout for a fifteen minute period and then go through the normal shut down procedure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
One more in the sleep camp here. Though I do a re-start once in a while.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
My iMacs are on 24/7. The display turns off after 10 minutes.

I reboot every two weeks, sooner if an update requires it.

I been through all the options over the years and decided on this approach based on what little published/unbiased evidence there is - or at least what I've been able to find.

Each to their own.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.