iPhone 5 Won't Ring

Reaction score
I just turned off Bluetooth. Now, I am waiting to see if I hear the next call. If it still won't ring, I'll update the iOS to 10.2 (which I have not done yet).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Does the phone show at least a couple of bars / dots for signal strength on the cellular carrier? Does it show LTE coverage? What happens when you attempt to place a call? If you're on a call and another call comes in, do you get indication of call waiting? Is the phone configured to forward all calls?

There's a number of different things that could be going on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I had issues with my iPhone 6+ not ringing. I don't remember what version of OS X it was on. I could not even get it to ring if I tried to select a different ring tone. I ended up going to Settings -> General -> Reset all Settings. That fixed it but I had to go back to change all my preferences in settings again.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I don't believe Bluetooth has anything to do with the phone ringer.

OP
M
Reaction score
The phone seems to be working fine now. I believe that the failure to ring was because, at some point recently, I inadvertently touched the Bluetooth icon in the pull-up menu. When I deselected that, the incoming calls started ringing again.

Thanks for the responses. I will keep you posted. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only way turning off BT would possibly affect whether the phone would ring is if it were actively connected to a BT device that all audio was routed to. Even then, I believe the phone will typically still emit a ringtone if it's in audible mode (not silent mode).

OP
M
Reaction score
It rings now. All I did was turn off Bluetooth.

What I don't understand is this: My boss said that he called and was unable to leave a voice message (even though my voice message thingy was not full).

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Thanks to all for the responses.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Marrk

It's pretty easy to test. Whilst at home, or wherever you have access to a landline or somebody else's mobile, ring your mobile. You don't have to answer so there should be no cost involved.

Ring your mobile with Bluetooth (BT) turned on and then turned off. If I were a betting man, I'd wager it would make no difference at all. After all, many of us have BT on in order to play music in the car, for instance. I keep mine on all the time, in fact.

And just double check that you didn't inadvertently flip the side switch to silent. I've certainly done that. And also forgotten to switch it back to sound later on.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I don't see how bluetooth could be the issue. I leave my bluetooth on so it will sync with my car bluetooth. I have done this with both my iPhones and never had an issue with the phones ringing.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Again, thanks for all they responses and recommendations. :)

I'll continue to monitor the situation and run a few test calls when I have the opportunity.

Cheers. :)

M

MacInWin

My boss said that he called and was unable to leave a voice message
That generally means the phone company didn't actually connect to anything. I've had that happen before, but an immediate re-call gets through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That generally means the phone company didn't actually connect to anything. I've had that happen before, but an immediate re-call gets through.

I would agree, providing that the caller (the boss) didn't hear an outgoing message or some sort of error message from the system or something.

If it just rang and rang and rang, then there was definitely no actual connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.