Formatting an External HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2012) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2018) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, iPhone XR
I need some advice on my proposed project.

I have a new MBA running latest version of Sierra. I have purchased Parallels 12, and Windows 10 and I would like to set things up on my 4 TB External Drive like this:

Partition 1 (2 TB) (Formatted in HFS+) For Mac Backups

Partition 2 (1 TB) (Formatted in HFS+) For MacBook use ie storage of larger files etc

Partition 3 (1 TB) (Formatted in NTFS and Bootable for Windows 10 via Parallels) I am presuming when installing Windows 10, it will take care of the formatting etc.

Partitions 1 and 2 would be in used by the MacBook only.

Partition 3 would have Windows 10 installed on it and strictly for Windows use.

Now here comes a couple of questions, will the above setup work ok, and does anyone have any suggestions and or comments.

On the MBA Desktop will I see only 1 or 2 Drive Icons or will I see all 3.

Any comments are gladly welcomed, I would hate to be doing things wrong. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you......

Things look good except for one thing:

Partition 3 (1 TB) (Formatted in NTFS and Bootable for Windows 10 via Parallels) I am presuming when installing Windows 10, it will take care of the formatting etc./QUOTE]

You can't do that because Parallels can't be installed on a NTFS partition. Just format the third partition as HFS+ and Parallels will take care of the internal formatting of the VM (virtual machine) for Windows 10.

Let us know if you need more help with this.

OP
Dxhound
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2012) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2018) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, iPhone XR
Chscag:

Thanks for the info. I will amend my plans to reflect your comment. Good to see that I am making steady progress without too much heartache. Thanks again for your valuable input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.