Switchers in Danger

Reaction score
I keep seeing new switchers out there all the time planning to switch beacause of Boot Camp.

It's important to know that there's a time limit built in to this Beta version and the fullv ersion will only be available with Leopard. So we should look out for switchers basing their switches on this. Boot camp will expire soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
What do you mean there is a time limit?

L

Left Face Down

Fun, I was going to wait until Leopard comes out anyways but was definantly going to use the full version of Boot Camp in Leopard, if it is "Boot Camp" at that time or not. It's nice to know this, but it's not like (due to money) I can go out and get a MBP right now or anything sadly. It's a nice marketing move for Apple to do this, because if some one gets use to Boot Camp and then it expires they're going to NEED Leopard. Well, in theory...

Now I just have to wait for a date that Leopard comes out... and be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram
Well I switched to move on from windows... Hopefully people purchased the intel mac's fro the product. Not primarily because it can run Windows

I

imacdoyou

Game2954 said:
Well I switched to move on from windows... Hopefully people purchased the intel mac's fro the product. Not primarily because it can run Windows

I agree. One of the main reasons I switched was to get away from Windows. Who would have guessed within a month of receiving my Mac that Windows followed me over? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
The expiration of Boot Camp will only affect user's that don't know how to apply the opensource product that existed before boot camp. Apple helped out the project by supplying drivers for video, which was the biggest obstacle. Switchers and Dual user's do not need to worry about this.

Also, if you read the thread a Macworld that makes a good point about some other company filling the boot camp gap if Apple decided not to advance the program. As much as some hardcore mac users would love it, Windows on an intel mac is nowhere near any type of danger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I may be in the minority but I have no real interest of loading Windows XP on my MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
i bought my imac because my machine running windows 2000 died and i had never liked xp, so i thought it was time for a change. then suddenly boot camp was released and i decided i wanted to play games again, so i needed windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB
I'm with the switchers that want to get away from windows. I used that horrid OS for 10 years and I feel so much better now with OSX on my new imac. I cringe now whenever I have to touch another computer with windows on it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
The majority of Mac users will never put Windows on their computer. For argument's sake, lets be careful with our posts here so it doesn't turn into another bashing thread and put other discussions at risk.

Z

zap2

One-The person should go to Leapord, and 2 all one has to do with change the year on there Mac and Poof the problem is gone(or atleast thats how the OS X public beta works)

Also if i recall people got XP on Macs before Apple release Boot Camp

OP
Y
Reaction score
It might be true that most mac users will buy a mac for Mac OS X, but then again, many people just like the hardware, and the possibility to run both equally.
Even though, as one macworld article stated, switchers will see osx is "better" because apple is confident about having the superior product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So what we have here is thread from Macworld that talks about a "time limit"? Does anyone have any proof, say from Apple, that there is a time limit or is this all conjecture at best?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Someone probably saw something about the time limit in the property list. I wonder if the dates there. Someone wanna check?

EDIT: Never mind I'm checking...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Alright that was easy. The first line in the read me warning states:
WARNING: Boot Camp Beta is preview software licensed for use on a trial basis for a limited time.
Also, I checked the property lists in the package installer (As far as you can go on a ppc mac) and there is nothing about the date. But there was something about the build (I had 1A21) and the project name (DA).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
K

Kokopelli

read the terms of license:

The term of this License shall commence upon your installation or use of the Apple Software and will terminate automatically without notice from Apple upon the next commercial release of the Apple Software, or September 30, 2007, whichever occurs first. Your rights under this License will also terminate automatically without notice from Apple if you fail to comply with any term(s) of this License. Upon the termination of this License, you shall cease all use of the Apple Software and destroy all copies, full or partial, of the Apple Software.

Disclaimer: I do not have boot camp, this is second hand knowledge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Don't need to worry right now, as I am not all that inerested in running Windows. I just don't need it, but for those that do need it, they could just un-install it, then dowload it again. Unless The cut-off mark is for EVERY download, for example, every download ends on June 1st. Then everyone would have to wait till Leopard comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Thanks kokpelli, so now we know that it is good until a specific date, albeit a much later one than I would have imagined.

I would have checked myself, but I'm not at home and the network I am on is extremely slow.

So now the question is, barring an update, what happens on 30 Sept 07? Does it just stop working or simply become an "illegal" copy, which the user is supposed to destroy IAW the license?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.