Problems trying to dual-boot Mac OS X and Xubuntu using rEFInd

JoM

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor and 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM running Mac OS X 10.6.8. Yesterday I installed rEFInd, partitioned the HD using Disk Utility, and then tried to load Xubuntu from a Minimal CD download on the second partition. This seemed to be working--rEFInd let me choose whether to boot Mac OS X or the CD.

During the installation process I was told that I didn't have a Reserve BIOS boot area and this could cause problems. I tried creating a third partition called "Reserve BIOS boot area" but that didn't help--I got the same error message again. I left 10 GB of free space and continued with two partitions. Xubuntu apparently installed without trouble. I rebooted the computer in OS X, ejected the CD and rebooted again--and Mac OS X was the only boot option offered.

Plainly I should have done something differently about the Reserve BIOS boot area. Can this problem be corrected at this time, wither from Mac OS X or from the minimal install CD? How should I go about creating a boot area?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably should go on over to the Ubuntu | Xubuntu forums and find out how to install it via a dual boot using rEFInd. Keep in mind that OS X boots via EFI not BIOS. So a reserve BIOS area is not needed nor can you create one for Xubuntu. Anyway, go on over to their forums and talk to the experts there. (Note: Macs do not have or use a BIOS.)

OP
J

JoM

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I'm seeking advice on the Ubuntu forums now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.